HybridZ

260z 'ish l28et refresh

Ptero

I suppose it's time to do some kind of work on my car and I'm needing a winter project.  So here we go.  Project thread.

Engine: 82 l28et (apparently running condition).  Also a spare 81 l28et for spare parts.

Goals: driving

Car: Running 260z or 260-280z shell (can't remember what it is)

I know this is nothing new, but I'm mostly keeping track of this for my own personal records and also trying to keep myself motivated.

IMG_9656.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

Edited by Ptero

Engine I'm looking to refresh is an '82 l28et /w a F54 bock and P90 head.  

Upon first inspection at home, the timing guide had snapped off half way.  Cool.  Neat.  Great sign of things to come.

The previous owner was obviously clueless.  So I proceeded with caution.

The spare engine /w donor car had been sitting for a while.  Totally seized up.  Spare parts are great though.  It ended up being easier to tear the engine out than lift it out.  When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.  So I used a combination of elbow grease, sawzall & skid-steer.

Timing chain ate into the guide after it broke off.  When looking at timing on cam marker #1, the engine was quite retarded.  Given that and the broken timing guide, I can only imagine the chain is stretched.  I didn't even bother lining things up with marker 2 or 3 on the sprocket to see if that would take up the slack.  I'd feel better just getting a new timing chain kit.

20180927_081930.jpg