HybridZ

RB vs VG in a 76 280z

Guest Kenzman9076

Guest Kenzman9076

Ok guys... duke it out! i need all the info why i should use one motor over the other. I live in the US and can get a VG30dett and a RB25det for about the same cost. So i need to find out the best one for my 280z.

Thanks

Ken

Why do people in the states even bother with the RB?!

It seems to have got this reputation that it is the king of all engines. It seems to be a good engine, but not worth you guys paying ridiculous prices for them, andthen paying ridiculous prices for parts. You guys have your own Awesome engines, Toyota engines, Buick Turbo engines, L28ET, SBC, and others which I am sure I dont know about....

well heres how i look at it...... what ever gets you going the fastest for the least amount of money is the way to go. and heres the scoop i bought my entire drivetrain for 3500.00 and for under 5K i have a Z that is capable of running 10 sec 1/4 miles (with alittle more tuning) it is street legal and the best thing is my current setup is bone stock so it is very reliable daily driver. which is what i was shooting for. i will be upgrading injectors and turbos eventually which should get it into the mid to low 10s and it will still be a stock long block. I plan on going back to japan in 2-3 years and retire ( im 32) there and work a civilian job of some sort on one of the bases on okinawa. long story short . If this wasnt my plan i would not have started the rbZ project i would have gone the route scottie is going with his z or maybe turbo V-8. it all comes down to i like going fast for the least amount of money rockon.gif

i dont care what motor it is in what car... i like the z car and i love the L engine sound but it is way too expensive to make a 10 sec L engine car. I could have built 3 rbz with the money it would take to build one 450hp L 3.1 engine alone. now i ramblin so ill stop but what ever you like is the way to go No matter what i say or anyone else says youshould go with what you want or youll wish you had cheers.gif

Yep, I was just about to say that you have contacts/access to parts over there in Okinawa...but If your going to live there then its going to be even easier. Retiring in your Mid 30`s...half your luck

I would love to put a GN V6 turbo into my Z...but we never got that engine here (although we did get the non-turbo version).

Guest Kenzman9076

Thanks for all the info guys.. (i dont think im any closer to picking an engine, but now i have a start tongue.gif ) I do want to stay with a nissan power-plant. Lots of members seem to have done a RB convert, i havent even see a VG in an older Z.. anyone got a link to one?

Thanks again all,

Ken

check out zdriver, theres a 280 with vg30dett,

i wanna see some pumped up vg40 and vg45 installs with a five speed behind it with a r230 yazzi rear end, thats some nissan im not mad at . if i had rb26 hookups i would go that route in an instant, bone stock getting me some turbo rubber.

Kenzman:

There is only one person I know of doing an RB engine swap into a Z in THE STATES, and thats Steve Webb (RB25DET)....All the above posts were from people who either live in Australia, or Japan.

If It was Me? If I was certain that a 2JZ would fit into an early Z I would go that route. Because, They come with 6 speeds, They make just as much IF NOT MORE than an RB26 on stock internals, and they are cheaper. I am a car enthusiast, not a nissan enthusiast. If it fits, hauls arse, is cheaper,doesnt ruin the ride, and has a 6spd box vs

5spd.....then its the one for me.

Ray

Guest super280z

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by RB30-ZED:

Well at least they are both Nissan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like THAT matters.

Take that sentiment to Zcar.com, leave it out of any posts on this site.

te hee hee.. :D sorry guys, but Pete that one just cracked me up..

Originally posted by Super280z:

[QB]

Originally posted by RB30-ZED:

Well at least they are both Nissan

Like THAT matters.

Take that sentiment to Zcar.com, leave it out of any posts on this site.

word.

Guest JAMIE T

I helped a local shop pull a VG30DETT for a freshening. It is REALLY cramped in the engine bay of a late ZX, our engine bays are longer, but definatly not wider. After actually working on one, I think it would be a PITA. But, the guys at the shop assured me that when ALL of the emissions and A/C, and power sterring and junk were removed, It would be a peice of cake :confused: . If I could get a good deal on one, I would still try it. I still think I need a VG45 in a tubbed out 240Z with huge turbos and a Fogger nitrous.

Guest Speaker

why not try a 1uz-fe? smile.gif

DOHC 4.0L V8 from the 92-97 SC400/LS400

made 250hp and 260ft-lbs of torque... couple mods for it out there; several making 235rwhp N/A :D

and there's a TT kit coming out for it very soon too; you could get just the manifolds; and do everything else yourself... Twin T3s on a 4.0L V8 would make upwards of 600-700rwhp. And this motor is built enough to take around 900-1000rwhp on the stock bottom end. Plenty of aussie guys running it.

I know this is a 6cyl board; but just throwing in another idea smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Just a quick one

whats the weight of an rb20det?

I've got one in my zed and am interested in if it is heavier then the L26 or not..