HybridZ

Chevy 350 Starter Replacement

The starter I ordered on ebay physically fits my chevy 350. It turns the engine, but the bendix will not completely kick out after the engine is running. It seems the unit is a tad too close to the ring gear, and yes, I tried every possible combination of shims. The bendix comes about half way out and jams. Then I replaced with another starter which was bought by my father on Hexautoparts.com and all is well. There appears to be some difference in the bendix on the these two starters, maybe the cause is that they not OEM but aftermarket starter replacement,not a lot, but apparently enough that the Hexautoparts starter release completely and works well.

Is that a question or a recommendation?

Glad you got your issue resolved, if that's all it was.  As an FYI....the SBC can come with two different size flexplates, and they typically require different starter motor mounting configurations.  That may have been part of the issue with your ebay starter.