HybridZ

NEED HELP - Mitsu 4G63 In A 240z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Aaron

Welcome! Correct me if I am wrong, but the Eclipses are a FWD configuration (engine mounted accross the frame). That will make the tranny selection much more difficult. You have two options as far as I can imagine. 1) Look for a Mitsu or Chrystler product that has a similar engine and is rear wheel drive. Then try to mate it to your engine. 2) Have an adapter made to mate a trans from another manufacturer to your engine. Contact Advance Adapters . I have heard they can mate any transmission to any engine. In either case, an automatic will be drastically easier than a manual.

The Datsun R200 will be plenty strong for the hp/torque that engine will put out. They are usually good for 500+ hp depending on how you use it. One guy here has run in the 9's without breaking two many of them. Gear selection are tipically 3.36 (rare), 3.54, 3.7, 3.7 LSD, 3.9, 4.10.

Good Luck

Except for the Buschur race car which uses a 2-spd Powerglide, all the rear-drive DSM-powered cars I have seen use the Supra 5-spd tranny. I have no idea which model or how they adapt it. Use Google to search the web using all the right keywords and I am sure you will find something. One that I know of was an old-school Corolla that ran out of the Wrightouch (sp?) shop in SO FL. They had (have?) the quickest FWD DSM in the world. I even have a pic of that Corolla somewhere in my old L28ET webpage because it used an NPR and not even the biggest one.

Another option is to contact Buschur and see how he fit the powerglide and if it is an adaptor plate, could it be used with a GM tranny.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the reply - Yeah, from looking around, it seems the common choice is the manual tranny out of a Celica or Supra - what about driveshaft and rear end?? I haven't been able to find out what to do there... can I leave in the stock rear end? What driveshaft will fit? I'm searching through Google at the moment for adapters and so on - any direction would be great. Cheers,

-AJ

Driveshaft will most likely be custom no matter what kind of swap you do. The rearend, you have a couple of easy choices with the R200 and R200LSD, and with a little custom work, the R230VLSD can be used. So this will probably be the least problematic of this swap.

BTW, why the Mitsu engine?

Owen

Guest Anonymous

Not so knowledgeable about Z rear ends - where do those rearends come from (what vehicles)?? Any idea who could assist with a custom driveshaft?

Why the Mitsu engine? - I want a four-cylinder, to keep the front end light, as the car will be road-racing... reliable newer engine, strong bottom end, capable of about 300 or so hp with relatively easy mods, and in plentiful supply, cheap parts, reputation for toughness - many reasons. I don't really want a straightline drag monster - I want the car to be flickable. This is new ground for me - I have never worked on a Z car.

Thanks for the help,

-AJ

The Z's came with R180 and R200 rear ends. These are very easy to swap, with mostly interchangeable parts. If you are starting with a Z, 240 or 280, most any R200 will bolt in. If you need info on specific R200s, search the drivetrain section - there are innumerable discussions on ratios, LSDs and how-to swaps.

A shop in my area is doing a SR20DET swap (240sx turbo), it's a 4-banger and capable of 300hp easy. The engine for the rear wheel drive config. is the same as the stock Z mounting. I hope to get close one day and see how the motor mounts were done.

The rest is easy, look for a driveshaft shop in your area. AFTER you've mounted your trans and diff of choice and measured more than once.

Owen