HybridZ

New 280Z Owner, with lots of questions...

Hello everyone,

My son and I purchased a 1976 Datsun 280z 2+2 for his first car last month and it will be our father/son project car. With that said, we have been trying very hard to get his car ready for Pennsylvania State inspection on the 8th of May 2019. We have been working hard and have been reading many of the z car forums, watching youtube videos, and reading as much material as we can find. Thanks to all the information out there we have successfully fixed numerous issues, but we still have a few things to go. My son has big dreams for this car which include possibly auto crossing the car and making it a hybrid, so I figured this may be the best forum for us. If we made the wrong choice, I am sure you will let us know. 

1. The numbers on the transmission are "7425394" - Can someone decipher these numbers for us? They do not match the information in the service manual...

2. Many of the vacuum lines were broken and needed to be replaced. However, there are a few we cannot figure out. There is a three way vacuum line connector near the distributor. The three hoses that are currently connected to it are:

• The distributor advance vacuum line
  • Throttle chamber vacuum hose
  • Anti-stall dashpot

From what we are reading the anti-stall dashpot, should not have a vacuum hose connected to it

Additionally, the one hose from the vacuum switching valve is not connected to anything

Any help getting these figured out would be highly appreciated!!

3. Dash lights are still not working....We have fixed all the other lights, but we cannot get these working. We cannot get our hands in there to see if the bulbs are good or not. Does the dash need to come out to get to these bulbs? I am also looking for the flashers to replace them, but i cannot find them either. We have also been trying to figure out how to get the rheostat out of the dash.

These are the most important questions at the moment.

Good to be here!

1976 Datsun 280z Vacuum Lines copy4 medium.jpg

Welcome to the forums.

That number does not match the part number of the transmission. I would assume a manual transmission?

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/AandBtranny.htm

For physical identifiers

https://www.jdmjunkies.ch/wordpress/2016-06-07/240z-transmissions-manuals-swap-possibillities/

Has a chart with that will decipher the part number if you have it, it should start with an F for a manual.

You can pull the gauges out the back, they are usually retained by a bolt that will be difficult to get to and you may need an extra stubby wrench or socket. Pulling the dash might be a good idea if you plan on replacing all of them, but things like the tachometer are pretty easy to pull. The combination switch (on the right if I'm not mistaken) tends to go bad in the early Z cars, seeing as that is what triggers the dash lights I would try find a wire feeding the dash light and see if any power is running to it.

Regarding the 3 way hose, it will need to see a source, in this case vacuum. You have one hose going to the distributor for vacuum advance, and another on the throttle body idle something or other or maybe anti-stall as you say (not sure, its been a while since I've looked at a stock throttle body) so the third branch should be a source of vacuum most likely on the intake somewhere.