HybridZ

JUST BOUGHT AN RB26

BRAD D

i know the aeromotive pump is big, but overkill in this area is a good thing right??

a guy i know has one in his 67 camaro. and even tough it is the size of a coffee can, its not as loud coffee grinder.

i just found a lsd r200 for 250$can so like aprox 160$u.s. so i think i will pick it up. i have been wating for this other junk yard to get a turbo 300zx in, because i can get them for 50$can but i keep finding 85 and under with out lsd there.

Guest Anonymous

BRAD D ,

hey whats up man? I am from Toronto my self and i am going to be dropping an rb25det in my 83 zx over the winter possibly. Plans are to make custom turbo header to run twin 14b turbos witha custom intake manifold cause i dont like the stock design much. I sell JDM engines as well,just wondering the 6500 u paid for the rb26dett was that U.S dollars or CDN? I have one RB26dett for sale right now, engine and tranny. I had it on ebay but not many buyers just a few interested.

Definatly gonna be running a stand alone(Hlatech) its a great thing and wiring will be less hassle after everything is swapped. I have a Haltech in my 92 Hyundai Sonata running a fully built turbo talon engine and all i can say is that Haltech is great,dont hesitate in getting one if ur looking for a full stand alone unit.

If you wanna talk rb swaps email me or add me on icq or msn messanger, zracer_22@hotmail.com icq 20762732 or msn messanger zracer_22@hotmail.com

Tom

Hi all,

just a warning about RB26DETT stand alone aftermarket ecu's. NOTE that not all ecu's will work with an RB26DETT because they have individual throttle bodies, unless you use something like a Autronic which can handle MAP vs TPS, you will have problems if you dont run the air-flow meter. With an Autronic you can do away with the restrictive and troublesome air-flow meters.

Make sure that you understand the needs of an RB26DETT before you buy the ecu.

This does not apply to other RB engines such as the RB25DET or the RB20DET which have a single throttle body.

Originally posted by RB26DETT:

Hi all,

just a warning about RB26DETT stand alone aftermarket ecu's. NOTE that not all ecu's will work with an RB26DETT because they have individual throttle bodies, unless you use something like a Autronic which can handle MAP vs TPS, you will have problems if you dont run the air-flow meter. With an Autronic you can do away with the restrictive and troublesome air-flow meters.

Make sure that you understand the needs of an RB26DETT before you buy the ecu.

This does not apply to other RB engines such as the RB25DET or the RB20DET which have a single throttle body.

I'm confused - this is a turbo motor with a common plenum somewhere,right? MAP sensor on that common plenum and a TPS on one of the TBs. I don't understand why this couldn't be done - please explain...

Hi Stony,

its custom made, do you want one??? I can oragnise to send you one over for to change over to a single Garrett ball bearing turbo!!!

They cost $2000 AUD, approx $1000 US. It features equal length runners to eliminate pulsing between cylinders.

I paid 6500u.s for a rb26 with 20, 000km or 12,000m, gts-t 5 speed, gts-t drive shaft, rb25 oil pan, flywheel and clutch + new clutch plate and zr200 (z31 with an rb20) motor mounts.

As far as computers I was looking at SDS, but now I’m starting to think otherwise RB26Z told me that if he did it all over again he would buy some thing with data logging, not SDS

What do you guys think of Haltech? Do any of the computer company’s have add on boost controller?

Hi BLKMGK, Brad D and all,

I'm not sure on how to explain the engine management issues that a RB26DETT has (or any multiple throttle bodied turbo engine!!). There has been a lots of write ups regarding this issue in an Australian performance magazine called Zoom. Maybe someone with a scanner can post up the articles, I have all the magazine issues, but no scanner.

It is well know that there are problems if you don't choose an appropriate ecu for the RB26DETT motors!!! In Japan, lots of the drag cars remove the individual throttle bodies because they sometimes prefer to use a ecu that doesn't enable them to control the RB26DETT multiple throttle bodies set up.

I myself use an Autronic SM2, but if I had to recommend an ecu it would be Autronic or Motec, nothing else comes close to these two brands. As for the availability in the US, I'm unsure of what you guys have over there.

Stony >> My turbo manifold was custom made for my car, using long equal length runners to eliminate pulsing between cylinders and improve the torque. Do you have any issues on ecus??? Are you still using the air-flow meters (I done away with mine!!!)

I have gotten a RB26. As of now the motor is still in the half-cut. I have started the RB26 a couple of times. BUT the motor is missing the AFM's. I wondering if I should try and use the factory ECU or not. I was planing on use the SDS system because I used it before and like it. But I'm starting to reconsider using SDS. Would anybody want to sell there AFM's. Come to think of it,where would be a good place to get vaccum from this motor??

Thanks

Jason RB260ZX

I have no issues with my SDS unit. I just wish i could data log.

if you use the stock ecu you are stuck with have to get the computrer tuned everytime you change something. $$$$$$ thats why i wnet with a stand alone.

cuong i was just curious about the manifold. no plans for turbos right now. have to get the rear end sorted out before i do anything else.

RB26Z

Yes data logging would be nice, but I looked in to Motec and Electromotive and they cost so much more. And seeing as how SDS is made in Canada I don’t have to feel the pain of your dollar ($1.00u.s = $0.60can). So I’m still thinking SDS but I have a question for you, do you run the SDS coils or the stock RB’s? If you look on SDS web page (http://www.sdsefi.com) in there project page under Nissan Ceffiro twin turbo, that guy is just running there fuel computer not the fuel / spark computer. Is it possible to run the stock coils controlled by their computer?

And some one on this forum said you were running 15psi? I did not think the stock turbos could hold up over 14psi? Is this true?

Thanks for all the info.