HybridZ

RB20 in to 76 280Z

Guest Kenzman9076

Guest Kenzman9076

Well im back, just paid for my RB20(got a r32 front clip) and need to start the "swap". The RB wont be here for about 2 weeks, but for now i need to get my Z ready. I need to know what the do's and dont's are guys. What are my biggest probs im going to hit putting a RB20 into a left hand drive 280z? This post will run until i get the swap done, so i may ask for some "on the spot info".

Thanks in advance for the all the help,

Ken

Guest Kenzman9076

Ok guys, here they come....

Questions #1:

I will need a new set of instruments, any links to good places to get some? I would like to have them fit in the gauge cluster. Also i will need a cone filter for the RB, any suggestions will help.

Thanks,

Ken

PS: will the stock IC fit? if not...?

Guest Anonymous

hey man, i got an rb20det in my car, great choice!

first up - why do you need new instruments?

in mine i just took out the clock to make space for my boost gauge.. and like my friend said "makes sense to me - with this engine you'll always be on time!"

as for what gauges to use.. i went street comp autometer glycerine filled gauges.. tested it out on the dyno when tuning and it was perfectly accurate

as for the cone filter.. i dont think it'd be a requirement.. might actually make it a lil less stable when idling.. but definitely helps in terms of 'go'

im using a k&n racing filter.. very nice but can be expensive.. luckily there are pretty cheap K&N cleaning kits which clean them to basically 98% of what they were like when you bought them.. so they go on for years and years!

might want to look at a UNIFILTER foam style filter.. my dad runs them on his L28 and they're great.. probably much better for air flow!

plus they're pretty cheap in comparison!

as for the IC.. dunno bout the stock GTSt cooler, but i've got a supraTT cooler and it fits fine in the front nose cone of the zed.. perfect place for it actually as it gets all the air it needs! very efficient!

if ya cant fit it in there, you got problems!

my mate has a GTR cooler in the front of his Gnose zed and it fits fine - so you should be alright!

hope that helps, look forwards to hearing more smile.gif

Guest Kenzman9076

Great info Arch, thanks

Ok heres some more questions,

Driveline... does everything mate up? or do you have to get one built?

Motor mounts... can i use the Z's? or the R32's?

Thanks again,

Ken

Guest Anonymous

driveline mounts up to a degree.. but its an awkward fit and you'll have to get used to some lil nuances..

i've got the rb20det gearbox in my car and although it is an awesome gearbox it sits much closer to the engine then in an L6 setup.. so unless you do some custom work to you console you're gonna be bangin the stick against the edge in 1st, 3rd and 5th!

it isnt that bad.. this is in a 1975 260z.. yours might be a bit different.. but it CAN be done.. my backend is all zed.. but i'm hoping to put in the back of a 200sx eventually.. more worried about suspension and putting my brakes on atm tho..

the best (and most expensive) way to go with the mounts is to get a workshop to fabricate some sutff.. as neither the zed or r31/32 stuff will do the job.. you also have to be very careful in planning it out as you'll have to have the engine sitting fairly low to get the bonnet down!

be very careful of the inlet manifold and plenum as the first time you bring down that hood they may leave a nasty lil dent! as they stick up quite a bit compared to the rest of the engine!

also make sure you get your hands on a crossover pipe that doesn't have a factory bov.. as that brings up a lot of problems for trying to fit it under the bonnet! I've HEARD that z31 mounts or rb30 mounts (aussie engine) can be modified to get one in easy.. but i'd imagine they'd be pretty hard to find and may not do the trick..

any more questions? : smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kenzman9076

well z31 mounts do work(kind of) after heavy modding... but, im still having trouble getting the oil pan to clear the front axle... do i have to use a diff pan or mod the one on the rb20?

Thanks,

Ken

Guest Anonymous

you aren't in australia are you? if so i've read that the rb30 or rb26 oil pan work perfectly for clearance issues as apparently they're a bit smaller.. course you can also do a custom job but yeah.. $$$

Guest Kenzman9076

yeah, im in the states... getting a z31 Jspec pan sump and mounts is hard. prob have to have it all made...damn, i was thinking id have the motor in today tongue.gif hehe wishful thinking i guess smile.gif

Im going to post here and see if anyone has the parts i need.

Ken

ok if your interested i might be able to hook you up with what you need,

first what tranny do you have, Best would be to have the r33 gtst 5speed as it is stronger then the rb20 and is a little longer and you dont have the clearance problems mentioned above. If you allready have the rb20 mission not sure of the drivesahft combo youll need but im pretty sure the driveshafts should work. If not it will be alot easier to mod it then to make one from scratch. If my friend can help you will need oil pan , sump, eng mounts and driveshaft, this might cost a bit in shipping and depending what junk yard he finds it in may cost a 100+ not including shipping. if your interested email me and we can talk..

l8rz

rockon.gif

Arch MY260,

the RB26DETT oil pan will not work as it has the front drive shafts coming out of the, don't forget that the car that the engine comes from is 4WD (Nissan Skyline GTR)

For my RB26DETT conversion into a '73 240Z I used an RB30 oil pan and modified it to clear the steering rack (I assume that a similiar mod can be done to the RB20DET)

You may also need to relocate you dip stick and modify your oil pick up (I did, but again an RB20DET might be different to an RB26DETT)

For the mods to your oil pan, search your area for a competent welder/fabricator, they should be able to do this for you, providing that you specify what you want changed (make sure that they dont make the sump to big otherwise you'll be spending tons of $$$ to fill it up with Mobil 1, also make sure that the oil baffles are right!!!)

Good luck!!!

Guest Anonymous

ah k.. i'd just heard that you could use the rb26dett one as well! ah well, hehe

the rb20/30/25 are a completely different block to the rb26dett.. similar, but at the same time pretty different..

but yeah, in america i dont think you'll have too much luck finding an rb30det oil pan

and yeah - good luck dude.. its well worth it in the end smile.gif

if you need any pictures of bits of my setup, send me an email or something as i've got a digital camera and can take some pretty quickly for you

my email is..

wderagon@bigpond.net.au

good luck!

Guest Kenzman9076

Thanks guys, well the motor is in and mounted and the pan should be done today, so my next "need" is a fuel pump.. whats the best way to go?

Thanks

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Kenzman9076

hey guys... i still need help with the wiring.. I need to know what wires give power to the ecu.. none of the diagrams I have give wire color codes. Thanks

Ken

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Sooo if one was to start writing a shopping list for the RB20DET conversion, you'd want the Oil pan from an RB30 (VL?), some Z31 Engine mounts to 'modify' aswell as an R33 GTST (RB25DET?) Gearbox as it's a bit longer than the RB20? Am I getting this right?

-Ross

First post!

• 1 month later...