HybridZ

Factory Engine Names-What The?

Ok guys, I am factory engine code name illiterate cry2.gif

I have attempted to read this forum because I find anything new to me intriguing; but you guys and your references to engines are leaving me out in left field.

Please, for the other illieterates like me; when you make references to the:

1) 7m-gte

2) RB / RB26 / RB25det

3) Z3a / Z32

4) VG30DET

5) VG30DETT

or any other name; please be aware I most likely am not up to speed. ugg.gif

Sorry to drag any of ya'll down to my level-but I need help on the lingo. frown.gif

You might have to talk slow & draw plenty of pictures if you have to; with a little help I should catch on fairly quickly. There was a thread on the VG30DET/DETT engines so I'm kind've up on those & then a previous post about the 7m-gte...so I now know what year that goes to.

I would also like to know if the engine being illuded to was a Push Rod, SOHC, or DOCH engine and or Inline 6 or V6.

Thanks for the consideration. 2thumbs.gif

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

for the RB information RB I belive stands for Race Block

the next two numbers give the displacment

20 = 2 leters

25 = 2.5 leters

26 = 2.6 leters

30 = 3.0 leters

D = dual overhead cam

E = electronic fuel control

= normaly asperated

T = turbo charged

TT = Twin trubro charded

The L stands for linear block

Displacment is just the same as above

E = electronic fule control

T = Turbo

7MGTE - Toyota Supra Engine available from 1986.5 to 1992

"7M" - Engine Family

"G" - Toyota designation for Twin Cam

"T" - Turbo Charged

"E" - Electronic Fuel Injection

Z32 - 1990 to 1996 Nissan 300ZX Chassis Code with an "a" usually means its an automatic

Hope that helps ya. In Japan (and catching on here in the U.S) they never refer to cars by their regular names like "Maxima" or "Corolla" its always done in regards to chassis code like "Z32" and engine code like "VG30DETT"

Yasin

Guest Zachb55

well i know i few of the ones in car names like GT and GTR, commonly standing for Grand Touring/Racing editions, and in cars like the WRX its for the World Rally Championship edition, im not sure why theres an X instead of a C or E besides the fact that X is just a cool sounding letter...

burnout.gif

-Zach

RB26DETT = 2.6l DOHC EFI Twin Turbo engine in Skyline GTR's (L6)

RB25DET = 2.5l DOHC EFI Single Turbo in Skyline GTS' (L6)

VG30DET = 3.0l DOHC EFI Single Turbo in 84-89 300ZX's

VG30DETT = 3.0l DOHC EFI Twin Turbo in 90-96 300ZX's

S30 = 69-78 240Z, 260Z, 280Z

S130 = 79-83 280ZX

Z31 = 84-89 300ZX

Z32 = 90-96 300ZX

:D

Originally posted by Len:

Hey Thank you Kevin! I think you have helped more people than you would ever know (including me). Get educated to "HybridZ" Jargon!

As my Dad said years ago I doesn't hurt to ask questions (knowlege is gained by always questioning). cheers.gif

Len,

Now you are embarrasking me :D that a kind thing to say-I try/since I have learned so much from this site I only feel obliged to give back what I have learned; and your Dad was exactly correct. ;)

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Hey Thank you Kevin! I think you have helped more people than you would ever know (including me). Get educated to "HybridZ" Jargon!

As my Dad said years ago I doesn't hurt to ask questions (knowlege is gained by always questioning). cheers.gif

Also what is even more important. Guys thanks for answering the questions asked. What may sound silly to some is very important to others. Nothing worse than posting a question or even e-mailing a question for that matter. To not even get the courtesy of a reply. 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

What is the engine code for the turbo buick?

I'm still trying to decide what motor i want to put into my z car. i've been debating between the sbc v8 and a 6 cyl turbo motor. I know the grand nat motor would make my Z fly as would a 2jzgte (93+ supra motor for those who don't know.) how well does the turbo buick motor fit? how about the 2jz? if any of you have done these swaps would you mind talking to me about them to help me make the best choice. Thanks