HybridZ

another confused swapper

Guest livewire23

Guest livewire23

Well, now that I've found my Z, I'm trying to decide on an engine. I was goin with the SBC because of the ease of the swap, but now I'm kinda leaning away from the SBC. I've got the JTR manual, and I feel comfortable with what this swap entails, but now Im thinking boost. I was going to go with an under 300hp 305 or 350. Two reasons, cheap and i've got very little experience controlling big engined cars.

But now I've seen all the RB series engines in Zs, and im impressed. First of all, I love the look of import engines. I guess I'm still a little biased. Nothing against the SBC, they're nice too. And I have more experience working on imports. Secondly, I want to experience boost. I've driven an RS, I've ridden in a Z28, I've ridden in a SpecV SE-R, and I think I want to try some boost.

So, after some extensive use of the search function here, I've been drawn to the 2JZ engines. Basically because folks say their cheaper. I'm still aiming for under 300hp, and I would like a nice balance between handling and power. My honda has nice handling, but is not as powerful as I would like.

So, should I go with a SBC JTR style, and just leave it stock, go with a RB25 and a small turbo, or a 2JZ and a small turbo? Or should I attempt to build my dream? A AWD RB25 280z 2thumbs.gif pros/cons of each?

Guest Anonymous

cool glad to see you actually taking the time to think it out. both the supra and rb motors produce around 320 howsuwapowa. and both are going to need some modifications to fit in the z. i say if you got the tools (most important a welding machine), go with the supra motor. your going to have to make custom mounts, and youll pay way less than getting your hands on an rb in the states.

but if your looking for ease, and bang for your buck go with the v8, or maybe go with an l28..

franklinz

Guest livewire23

right now i've got air tools, welding tools are next on my list. Its a tough choice because the V8 is cheaper, and easier. But then the 1JZ and 2JZ seem more appealing to me somehow. Any good guides on motor mount fabrication for the conversion that I could look at while trying to make a decision?

It sure is important to really look at what you want from your z. How much you are willing to spend to build it, and even more importantly fix/repair/maintain it after that initial outlay of money.

Lots of budget swaps out there...its a whole other ball game to maintain these cars...as well WHO is going to work on it? YOU or are you gonna pay some joe blow mechanic who may understand Datsuns, but may know jackall about your modded hybrid.

I thought I had all the answers years ago with my Z. And then my life changed, priorities changed, and what I was willing to live with changed, and found out that my high revving L28 was modded just a little too far out there to drive and enjoy daily..and I actually started to drive it less and less!!! I've since been on a quest to make the car more what I need instead of what I thought I might want.

I chose an uncommon engine swap, for many different reasons, and money did have a factor (allbeit a small one)

I think I have the car the way I want it now.. reliable enough to drive around daily. Good enough on gas to make me not have to think seriously about gas costs when driving to a long distance car event. Quiet interior and comfortable enough to take ladies out on a date with. 2thumbs.gif Hot looks to boost my ego ;) and all the hp I need with minimal lag of my turbo.

In its old form, it had no carpets, no stereo, no heat, very noisy exhaust... not exactly a date car to say the least. Lots of fun on the track, and if it got a small scratch, I didn't cry over it. Didn't drive it much because of the noise, low ground clearance, gas costs, no stereo for long drives. not comfortable to drive in for long periods, and looked better 20/20 than standing still on display in a parking lot.

Things change, people change, and it cost me a small fortune to change my car to how I needed it.

Now this all has slowly happened over the last 14 years I've had this car.

Think it over, and don't let money make all the decisions, check out other Z's and see what you think of them. Brute cheap hp will not make you happy if you require smooth refined power. If you want to do something just to be different, be aware of the costs of a one off. (money, driveablilty, enjoyment, maintenance etc..)

Not trying to sound preachy, just giving my .02 cents worth of "living the Z life" experience.

Good luck with your decision. Your in the right place to hear many different "Z life experiences"

Guest livewire23
Originally posted by ZR8ED:

I think I have the car the way I want it now.. reliable enough to drive around daily. Good enough on gas to make me not have to think seriously about gas costs when driving to a long distance car event. Quiet interior and comfortable enough to take ladies out on a date with. 2thumbs.gif Hot looks to boost my ego ;) and all the hp I need with minimal lag of my turbo.

sounds

nice 2thumbs.gif would you recommend the VG30ET to achieve those goals, or are there more direct routes? hope you got enough boost in that ride for it to be fun when you finally get to that distant car event. burnout.gif

Cost is a factor to me because I want to be able to finish the project in under about 5 years. rolleyesg.gif My #1 goal with this is to enjoy myself and build something. The build is just as important as the final product for me. Of course I want a final product that I can be proud of, and show off to my friends. :D But unlike a lot of the hybrid Zs around, Im not going for all out HP and speed, I more like the idea of "modernizing" the Z. A nice more modern engine, some decent seats, maybe a paint job, some nice gauges. Not a WHOLE lot of modification, but an even nicer Z than it already is. Another lesson I have learned from my prelude is that although that maybe what I want now, but needs change. I want a versatile engine, so that if I get into the driver's seat and decide I want more power, I have the oppurtunity to boost up power. I learned that with my H23 engine, the only way to get much more power now is to either turbo it or build the motor. I'd like a motor where I could decide I want to up the HP a notch, and get a bigger turbo and an intercooler, and there I am. Basically an engine with a lot of potential. 350s have loads of potential, but they often require complete rebuilding to get their potential out. ugg.gif

Thats why im starting to lean towards an import engine. its a newer engine design, and more true to the original. the SBC is a great engine, sturdy and powerful, but Id like something different.

I plan on doing all my own repairs, so I'd prefer an engine that I can actually get basic parts for, and the a gas mileage of over 20 mpg would be sweet. Am I asking too much?

Kito

I really like my engine swap and the levels of performance I have achieved.

I did it to do something to the car that most would say "impossible" I love being the underdog... it makes succeding much more enjoyable.

As far as a recommended solution to "needs" for a z car, this is most definately not the swap to accomplish those goals reasonably.

From my somewhat limited "hybriding Z's" experience and thoroghly studying a JTR manual, I would rate this swap as one of the more difficult engine swaps for a Z. Its right up there with engine swaps that neccessitate moving of the firewall, relocating frame rails and suspension components, as well as serious changes to the steering linkages, and suspension geometry.

Obviously learning from others mistakes makes a swap much easier, that is why the v8 can be so bullet proof. There are a ton of guys who have done total cheapo butcher jobs on Z's, and just as many who have turned their V8 Z into a masterpeice of technology, looks, as well as excellent handling street and track monsters.

Money or pure expertise and mechanical ability can make or break your conversion. Or both if you have neither.

I try not to sound too scary to someone thinking about their swap, but I had absolute ton of emails from guys looking for an easy way out when they saw a comparitively available nissan powertrain, that could be dumped into a 1st gen with very respectable performance (stock) with even more potential for performance.

Problem is yea its a small powerplant, but it just does not fit well in the Z.. all the extra room is in the wrong places. Not to mention next to no one has done this conversion. I have never seen another one, and I have only heard of one in Australia. So there is not much help out there to learn from mistakes made...

Sorry to kinda change the topic a bit. I just wanted to answer your Q about feasability of my swap for your car.

Thanks,

Scott.

How much do you guys have to pay for RB20DET in the states?

They seem like a good little engine. I have been in a Skyline powered RB20 as well as a 200ZR powered RB20....and these things would do well in a Zed.

They seem to be the middle ground between an L28ET and a Hi-Po engine (aka RB26, 1JZ/2JZ).

Guest livewire23

well, thanks for the response. It kind of disappointing to hear that, because I can obtain a VG pretty easily around here, and it sounds like a nice engine. But although Im comfortable with a certain amount of welding and modification, Im not prepared to have to do a whole ton of changes to get the engine to fit. Right now Im looking into the feasability of selling my prelude engine/tranny, and buying a better one, so hopefully I'll have one (albeit a relatively easy one) engine swap under my belt by the time I get around to doing the Z swap. Im giving the 280zt idea a bit of thought, but it still doesnt appeal to me the way a V8 or 2JZ appeals to me. I guess I'll keep thinking about it...

Thanks for all the help from the people who have replied

Kito

Guest livewire23

90-93 nissan-skyling r32 rb20det 210hp

(motor set) pic 1000+shipping

that answer your question?

its not really too bad, if you know where to look

Guest Zachb55

Hey, im considering the 2JZ swap also, well more then considering its more like im in love with the idea.... one of my all time cars i must own in my life is a 93-98 supra TT six speed, and being able to take it's engine and put it in something as light and as beautiful as a 240Z is overwhelming, i cant wait until its done, or started for that matter... i dont exactly have a real income at this point, having just finished drivers ED and about to get my license, most employers around here werent really looking for someone who couldnt get themselves to work, but hopefully after i get my license and basketball season is over ill get a job and get things rolling on my project... i realize that $5000 dollars is alot of money, i havent even spent half of that on my project yet, but thats what i have to pay for a 2JZ GTE TT 6SPD half cut to get to my house, and save up for it i shall, when the time comes... i hope you and some other people actually do this swap before i embark on it, i have all the tools needed and a good understanding of what it will take to do, but i would love to be able to learn from other's mistakes on this one... good luck with your search though, hopefully you go with the right choice for you.

-Zach

• 2 weeks later...
Guest livewire23

well, I might actually end up in seattle sometime soon, so we may be in the same boat up there. I've already got a job, so i might end up doing the swap *shortly* before you. Im a bit torn right now. Here's why:

I want to build a car that has decent handling. I just have more of a love for windy (sp?) roads than I have for the strip. I've been thinking a lot about the l28et recently, since its still an inline 6 turbo. I dunoo, I kinda lost respect for those supras after this one tried to race me in my prelude and I could actually keep up with it. Granted it wasnt a TT probably, but it was all riced out, and looked real lame running side by side with a non-Vtec prelude.

But back to the problem at hand. I want to know what a TT 1jz is going to do to my weight distribution? And how much work does it take to get a L28et up to the 1JZ's 280 hp? I really want an engine with potential, because my prelude taught me that you always want to have the option of building your engine into the hp range you want later on.

I want an engine with 280hp and the crank with minimal building. It also has to have the versatility to be pushed up to around 400rwhp later on if I decide to get real serious. I can get a 1jz for $1200 + shipping, so Id like to keep my engine+trans in that general range. Any suggestions?

rb25det 250hp 1800+shipping

rb26dett 280hp 4500+shipping

2jzgte 280hp 5550+shipping

1jzgte 280hp 1300+shipping

l28et 180hp 500???

vg30dett 280hp 3500+shipping

h22a 180hp 2800+shipping

(the last one was just for comparision to show how bloated the prices are.)

Guest livewire23
Originally posted by joeinCA:

maybe a stock supercharged 3800 v-6? About 240HP and silky smooth power.

might be cheaper than a supra or other import engine...

just a thought,

Joe

Is there a RWD version of this engine?

Guest Anonymous

Is there a rear wheel drive version of a 3.8 GM V-6 in a super charged edition? The 3.8 maybe an over looked swap for a Zee.. The regular 3.8 emgine without a supercharger scoots and these motors are getting a survival reputation