HybridZ

Amp gauge and indicators question?

Quick question...on a 280z when you hit the hazards or blinkers is it normal for the amp gauge to jump around? I attached a video for reference. I looked at the wiring diagram and the wire that powers the hazards also feeds the amp gauge so it kinda makes sense why the gauge would jump around when you turn on hazards but it happens when I hit blinkers also although slightly less drastically. I do have an aftermarket flasher unit for the hazards so I wanted to check if this is normal. Thank you!

Sorry, I didn't watch your video earlier; but just watched it now.  Looks like you have a Voltmeter, vs an Ammeter (i.e. "Amp Gauge")....is that correct?  Two different gauges that measure two different metrics.

Typically, a voltmeter will react much less to changes in system amperage draw than an ammeter.  From your video, I'm guessing that the engine was NOT running when you filmed the video?  Is that correct?  If so, I would try the same test again but with the engine running (and the alternator charging).  You should see much smaller (and possibly none) fluctuations in the voltmeter reading, because the alternator/voltage regulator will keep things more stable in your electrical system.  And obviously, the voltmeter should be reading somewhere in the 13-14 V range with the engine running.  If not, there's a problem with the battery charging subsystem.

Hope this makes sense.  If not, feel free to ask more questions.

Sorry for the confusion/my ignorance, yes it is a volt gauge. I haven’t messed with the original wiring on that gauge or the indicators. 

I just went and tried it again with the engine running and it seems to move the same amount. I took another video to show the movement.

The charging system works as far as I know in the car as you can see the gauge reads 13Ish when the engine is on. It is an LS swap with internally voltage regulated alternator. Everything functions as normal and we have driven the car for at least an hour at a time. So I thought maybe it does have something to do with the aftermarket 3 wire flasher unit I used but i plugged in an own one and same thing. The volt gauge acts normally for anything else like lights, radio, ac, etc. I guess my main question would be does this have potential to damage something or is it unsafe? Thanks very much for the help!

Edited by Whitley_280z_2+2