HybridZ

COOL 240 with ATI procharger V8

MYRON

If any of you guys get "Turbo & high tech Performance" magazine Dec. 1999 has a really nice readers rides car. It's a 70 240 with an imsa GT body kit 17"HRE wheels that look really good. It has a .40 over sbc, edelbrock heads and an ATI procharger.. It lives in

San Diego County

Guest Fast Frog

Ahhhhh:

I've been telling you guys about Eric Berstein's 240Z for 3 months!! Top End Performance did the V8 and installed the Procharger-with minimal fabrication. It's a carb setup though.

Fast Frog, Do you know Eric? His car is awesome! If you know how to contact him, why

dont you try to lure him to this site. I am sure that some people would love to pick his brain! As for back issues here is the

address and phone # Mcmullen Argus Publishing 1015 Placentia Ave. Fullerton

Ca. 92831 714-213-1026...

The write up is very brief and there are only 4 pictures (unfortunately)...

You should see the FAT NASTY tires on the

back of this car!

Myron

Guest Fast Frog

Thanks Myron:

I don't know Eric B but I talked to one of the techs at Top End P at length (I've dealt with T.E.P. before) about his setup. He was reluctant to say too much cept that any fabrication to fit the Procharger into the engine bay was minimal and the SC is pumping low boost (5-6lbs).

BTW, I was an avid subscriber of Turbo & Hi Tech mag for 5 or 6 yrs until they started featuring, almost exclusively, hi tech Hondas, Mits', Eclipses, etc.-the kind of setups that many of us are doing street battles with as we speak. They used to feature a broad array of cars and "home boy" projects. But now they've taken over by the "Far East"!!

I started to post about this last night but chose not to throw stones at Turbo :-)

I too used to be a subscriber to Turbo until they turned to crap. I had their subscription for like 5 years and kept hoping they'd finally tell us what the heck happened to the turbo Mustang! Alas, it turned into TurboHonda and I now only buy it when I see something really interesting in a newsstand issue. They never did finish sending me all of my backissues of the Turbo Club newsletter (grr). Got a cheesy plate, okay sticker, and a hat that the dog attacked :-(

As for that car - massive camber! Didn't want to throw rocks at that either but it was pointed out on Zcar.com when it came out. I'd love to know why he did it that way and why only 5-6lbs of boost?

Overall the car looked damned nasty though - I'd love to hear from the guy who's driving it and those who built it!

Yeah, I am not that hip on spending a fortune

to get a fwd econobox to run 12's....

Some of the guys at my work are into the

stickers and ground effects with a huge mufflers... None of them have seen my "IMPORT" but i have promised to race all of them as soon as i get moved up here.

I am living in an extended stay hotel until my house is sold.

Maybe you can tell the engine builder to put a bug (and a web address) in Erics ear.

Myron

Guest Fast Frog

BLKMGK:

Right on about Turbo mag. They use to have great Automotive "101" features about cams, superchargers vs. turbochargers, octane vs. compression and boost, etc. Michael Ferrara was my favorite tech writer and one of the most knowledgeable on the staff. Then about 1 1/2 -2 yrs ago they dumped him and the mag really went down hill. I also wanted to see the conclusion of that "Science Project" turbo stang, but no final follow up story. It's all hi tech far east stuff!!

BTW, the tech at Top End Perf didn't tell me why the low boost, just that it was setup for low boost. Let me see if I can get Eric Berstein's # and give him a call.

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited September 03, 2000).]

Mike Fererra - they might have canned him for breaking so many Eagle Talon parts. wink.gif No seriously, the Talon/Eclipse/Laser guys on the DSM list used to rag on him for breaking stuff so much, and for doing so much Honduh stuff. I think he tried to get other stuff in the mag, but that's changed, it sounds like. I have a few Turbo mags, but only the ones that feature a Z, which aren't many these days!

I used to love that mag - thought I'd never stop subscribing - had paid up at one point as far as 5 years in advance. When that sucker ran out I never renweed - it was import FWD junk to me.

I actually liked the DSM stuff. Neat cars!

As for the Mustang... Last I'd heard it had been worked over by a shop and on initial fire they found a screw had gotten into the intercooler. First hi-end run blew it out into the engine and trashed things a bit. Needless to say that made a mess... That was about the last I ever heard about the car - a real shame. It had the same turbo kit I did and the same heads I'd bought for mine. I wanted to hear the HP they got out of it dammit!

Nowadays I pick them up once in awhile. They used to have good tech articles but I get the impression all the little punks want to hear about now is neon and big stickers. Oh yeah and women draped all over the cars - pick up some of the import rags to see what I mean. Almost embarrassed to have them out in the office - some of the ads are pretty risque. Heh, I like young cute women but not when they get in the way of looking at a nice car pic :-) Super Chevy did that the other day too - the women thought it was bad and I don't dare carry that one into the office. Was their issue talking about crate motors - guess the import guys don't have that market completely to themselves.