HybridZ

Electric Supercharger???

Guest Frank280z

Hmmm...

This seems like it would work best on smaller motors ( >= 2.0L ). The thing I don't understand is how they can maintain boost (as shown by the supposed torque increase in the dyno charts) without increasing impeller speed. Obviously as the RPM's go up, more air would be needed... right? All I saw on the wiring diagram was a simple W.O.T. controlled relay switch. After seeing that, I had a real hard time believing the dyno charts. Especially the Turbo MR2. It makes natural sense that the turbo's Regulated boost of 16 psi would eventually overcome the "supposed" 1.7 psi increase. Yet, the dyno sheet showed an increase... even when the motor had full boost. That doesn't make sense to me.

Another thing that kind of upsets me about this item was their use of Dyno graphs. If I handed in performance data, pertaining to ANYTHING automotive, you'd better believe I would have to have some sort of statistical analysis done to it. In more common words... AVERAGE (more than just one dyno run). Now, I realize that most do-it-yourselfers cannot rent a dyno for weeks at a time to do development, but trying to sell something based on two singular data points is just wrong. It would be nice to see 10 runs before the device, then 10 runs after. Until then, I'll remain skeptical.

...maybe it needs Slick50 to operate correctly biggrin.gif

-Andy

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bayley:

Hmmm...

This seems like it would work best on smaller motors ( >= 2.0L ). The thing I

Their site says engines over 5l will not make any gains.

Also read this from their site:

"Take your car to a dyno test in your area. Make dyno runs with and without the e-RAM activated, and take a picture of how it was installed. Mail the e-RAM back to us with the picture, a copy of your receipt, and a clear copy of your dyno comparison results (signed as witnessed by the technician running the dyno). If the dyno shows the e-RAM does not increase horsepower in your engine by an average of at least 4% of its previous horsepower throughout the 3000 to 6000 rpm range, and we conclude from the picture that you have installed the unit correctly, we will give you a full refund* and even pay for 1/2 your dyno fee! (up to a maximum of $50 reimbersement)"

Good friggin' luck if it doesn't work!

LOL! This thing they say draws 50A from the electrical system. They also say "The eRAM is designed for low duty cycle use and therefore is on only

when you are at full throttle." I bet I know why...the thing starts to heat up pretty good, so you get 1/2psi of HOT air. biggrin.gif

Guest Frank280z

Also read this from their site:

"Take your car to a dyno test in your area. Make dyno runs with and without the e-RAM activated, and take a picture of how it was installed. Mail the e-RAM back to us with the picture, a copy of your receipt, and a clear copy of your dyno comparison results (signed as witnessed by the technician running the dyno). If the dyno shows the e-RAM does not increase horsepower in your engine by an average of at least 4% of its previous horsepower throughout the 3000 to 6000 rpm range, and we conclude from the picture that you have installed the unit correctly, we will give you a full refund* and even pay for 1/2 your dyno fee! (up to a maximum of $50 reimbersement)"

Good friggin' luck if it doesn't work![/b]

Don't worry. I didn't contemplate buying one of them. I like n/a american v8s. Just something I came across........Frank

------------------

Build it. Drive it. Improve it. http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/frankzpage/

quote:

Originally posted by Frank280z:

"Take your car to a dyno test in your area. Make dyno runs with and without the e-RAM activated, and take a picture of how it was installed.

There's the catch. Notice that they have you do dyno runs with and without the device activated, not with and without it installed. Big difference.

Also, I noticed that this was how they did their dyno comparisons. Now it's a little clearer how they showed a gain on a boost regulated turbo motor. It's more likely that they are losing power with the unit deactivated, and breaking even (or maybe just losing less) with it on. Since they don't show baselines without the thing installed, there is no way to know.

I have a hard time believing that their little fan won't be a restriction in the system when it is turned off.

I've seen more schemes to do this than you can shake a stick at. One guy had a writeup in Turbo that sounded the most promising - it was indeed making boost on a small motor but not much and it did indeed drag the alternator down - might have even needed one dedicated to it. One big downside apparently - it whined like an air raid siren or something! (ROTFL) The noise was supposedly loud enough that people stared, pointed, and asked if everything was allright under the hood smile.gif