HybridZ

Tachometer question.

My tach is sticking, well, it's really not working much at all, but when it does, it just sticks. I've taken it out, but I'm ignorant about how it's supposed to work. If use my fingers and move the needle over to 8K, is it supposed to swing all the way back to zero? Because mine only swings as far back as 2 or 2.5K. There are several adjustments on the back. Is one of these for the spring tension?  From searching the forum I know the one in the hole is for adjusting the tach, but wasn't sure what the other two were for.

IMG_20201103_204709796[1].jpg

1 hour ago, Witchboard said:

My tach is sticking, well, it's really not working much at all, but when it does, it just sticks. I've taken it out, but I'm ignorant about how it's supposed to work. If use my fingers and move the needle over to 8K, is it supposed to swing all the way back to zero? Because mine only swings as far back as 2 or 2.5K. 

It should go back to zero.  If it doesn't it's a mechanical problem, not electrical, probably just a gummed up mechanism.  You don't want to mess with the adjustments, they haven't moved.

Why post a tachometer problem in the V8 Tech board section?

Thanks for the response.  I have a V8 installed, but wasn't sure where to ask exactly.  Looks like you're a mod.  If it would be better somewhere else, please feel free to move it.  I'll search the forum to see if I can find something about disassembling the tach and cleaning it up.

The only thing I found was pretty much the same question with no responses. lol  I guess I'll just tear into the thing then if anybody else asks, I'll know.  Might check YouTube first though...

Well, lookie here...

Funny thing is mine started working when I loosened the nuts as well on the posts.

Edited by Witchboard

Disassembled the tach again over the past couple of days.  Figured out if I tightened anything down past barely finger tight it would start to seize the movement.  So I completely took it apart and put it back together gingerly and the needle is still free flowing.  Not sure when I'll get it back in the car for testing, but hopefully it works as expected after this.

• 2 months later...