HybridZ

L28et e cu advice needed

Willflow

I picked up a. 81 turbo car thats a daytona conversion just for the engine. My idea was to try and get it running before I pull it out. It has the clicking fuel pump relay syndrome. I checked the pin at the e cu and the voltage there is fluctuating 6-12.6. I know I can just bypass the power to the pump to try and get it going but also wondering if I'm missing something else. I don't have a FSM yet and its been a challenge to find a good diagram online that I can print. 

I am trying to figure out if I should look at a Z31 e cu swap, stay stock or go standalone. Right now cheaper is better but I'd rather not buy twice. 250-300rwhp sounds nice. Point me in the right direction guys. 

1 hour ago, Willflow said:

I picked up a. 81 turbo car thats a daytona conversion just for the engine. My idea was to try and get it running before I pull it out. It has the clicking fuel pump relay syndrome. I checked the pin at the e cu and the voltage there is fluctuating 6-12.6. I know I can just bypass the power to the pump to try and get it going but also wondering if I'm missing something else. I

Is this a thing? "the clicking fuel pump relay syndrome"  classiczcars.com has FSM's that you can download.  

1981 is still primitive.  I think the fuel pump just runs full speed all the time.  Might as well jump it if you just want fuel pressure.

Here's the section from the 1981 Turbo Supplement.  You should get a 5 second prime, or you can pull the starter solenoid wire and use the Start circuit.

image.png.ef0087ce641587b0f8ae3555a50cb063.png

22 hours ago, NewZed said:

1981 is still primitive.  I think the fuel pump just runs full speed all the time.  Might as well jump it if you just want fuel pressure.

I misunderstood the FSM, it seems that it probably adjusts to engine conditions, as they say.

You said that you just wanted to get the engine running before removing it.  Jumping the pump is the way to do that.  Good luck, whatever you end up doing. 

Parts for the old ECCS system are hard to find so Megasquirt or other standalone is probably more dependable in the long run.

image.png.60ef408c8aadbe1206f26b2d70209a8c.png