HybridZ

Electronic boost controlers?

Guest 75Turbo

Guest 75Turbo

I was wondering if you guys had any recomendations for (or against) any particular models of EBC's?

I am looking for something easy to switch boost levels on... ie button A=x boost, B=x boost, ect. Something where you have to go to a menu and select a boost level isnt going to work for me. One that I was considering was the HKS-ez (simple volume knob). Anybody using it?

Thanks, Nathan.

I'm currently running the GReddy Profec B it is very simple to use and I'm sure the HKS model is very similar to it. I'm very happy with it's ease of use and installation. I used to have a GReddy Profec A and I think the boost might have hit a little harder with it on the car. Much more of a pain to install. It ofcourse started acting crazy and I sold it after having it looked at by GReddy.

Avoid the Blitz models at all cost!

I put one in my Talon TSi and the thing is a piece of crap. First of all, it uses an open loop control system. Even though it has a boost reference line going to the microcontroller, all it does is serve as a digital boost gauge. When setting the actual boost with the controller, all your doing is setting a "percentage" of how much more boost you want over the stock wastegate. Basically, is an electronically controlled bleeder valve. The boost is still dependant on temperature and will not be consistant thru the RPM range. For example, if the car has been sitting outside in below freezing temp's all night, I can easily hit the 22psi warning. However, with the same boost setting, I can barely hit 15psi after driving around on a warm (+65 degree... that's warm for me) day. Also, cruising down the highway in fifth gear at 3000 rom would yeild 20psi of boost, while at 6000 rpm, the boost would only be 14 - 15 psi. icon_mad.gif Not exactly what I bought the boost controller for.

Do yourself a favor, skip the Blitz

-Andy

Guest 75Turbo

Thanks for the info so far... I would definately want to avoid a boost controler that doesnt actually sample boost pressure. Bummer (Andrew) that you found out the hard way. Does that mean that the blitz controler doesnt help the boost build faster? I thought one of the major selling points of EBC's was that they could keep the wastegate completely closed until you reached your boost setting and then "pop" open the wastegate. (?)

What when "crazy" with the Profec A? I've heard that some of the higher tech controllers had reliability issues, but I thought that was a sales pitch from someone who didnt sell them.

One more question (for now)... when I was looking at the HKS-ez I noticed it had a switch on the back of it for internal or external wastegate. Why would that matter?

Thanks for your help so far, Nathan.

Well I dunno about all that, but I know ppl who have used Blitz models w/ great results. One of the recent Turbo mags talks about the new SBC-id I think it's called and they changed the percentage thing. It's really good and I think I'm gonna go get one.

About the Profec A going acting Crazy. It would work fine one time and then not the next. Often it would Go up to the preset boost amount and then come down to 9 psi. I sent it in to GReddy and they checked it out and said there was no proublems with it. I had sence bought a Profec B so I sold it. I'm happy with the B and it is very simple to install and use. There are much fancier models out there but this one really seems to work day in day out. icon_biggrin.gif