HybridZ

Cleaning fuel system

Nismo_Gizmo

Hey All,

My Datsun has been sitting at a body shop for the better part of 7 years. I drove it there but it has not run since. When I get it back in a few weeks, what is the best way to clean out the fuel system? I didn't know to use a fuel stabilizer at the time, so I'm afraid its brought havoc upon my fuel tank, carbs, lines, etc.

Thanks

23 minutes ago, Nismo_Gizmo said:

Hey All,

My Datsun has been sitting at a body shop for the better part of 7 years. I drove it there but it has not run since. When I get it back in a few weeks, what is the best way to clean out the fuel system? I didn't know to use a fuel stabilizer at the time, so I'm afraid its brought havoc upon my fuel tank, carbs, lines, etc.

Thanks

drain out as much as you can. If the car was outside, you may have some moisture in your gas tank so you will need to flush out. The fuel has definitely gone bad. Change the fuel filter and run the car after flushing. Hope for the best. You may need to rebuild your carbs anyway so try it without. Diagnose any problems and go from there. Modern fuels have detergents that will flush the system overtime, but it may runny a bit crappy until then.  You don’t have much to lose.