HybridZ

Joe's 1972 240Z adventure

12-13-2022 UPDATE: So, I went ahead and prepped the garage for the engine build, etc. Just waiting on pistons, and then waiting in line for machine work on the block. The cool alternator adjustment bracket I found on eBay arrived as did my shifter I got from Steve Ehlers. Transmission is at Precision Standard Transmissions locally getting a rebuild.....waiting for my K case 4.11 R180 rear diff to arrive as well.

2.png

1.jpg

garage prep.jpg

Edited by A to Z

12-14-2022 UPDATE: I finished getting the garage ready to work in for the drivetrain swap. So, today also became the messy day.....draining the engine, radiator and automatic trans. I don't think there IS a way to drop the pan on the trans without spilling and making a mess. 🙁 So, after I got that done and cleaned up, I took some time to start on the clearancing of the block, so the Diesel crank will clear. The trans pan had further signs of the cars low mileage.....original cork gasket and not much for metal filings in it.

Click link below to see video at the end of the pics. :) 

(18) Facebook

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by A to Z

12-20-2022 UPDATE.  Well the rear differential arrived, and my new Bosch starter as well.  Also received the burr bit I need to finish clearancing the block for the rods and crank, and some new Nissan flywheel bolts.  I got them from the Z Connection and were about 10 bucks cheaper than anywhere else....gotta love eBay.  Transmission will be done most likely in 2-3 days, crank is in Denver getting the full treatment, probably be done in a week.....and no word on my pisotns yet.  I should be getting my used cam in a couple days and then decide if I want to send it to Schnieder for a regrind.  That is the best way to go, as the factory cams, are the real deal, strong, forged, versus the aftermarket which are not quite as well made.  Schnieder is also able to measure the cam after the regrind such that I can get the exact right size of lash pads.....question is, do I want to get it?  When my pistons ship, Rebello is sending me a set of springs to handle a cam.....decisions, decisions.  Here are a couple pics. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by A to Z

12-22-2022 UPDATE: Well good news today, my pistons are in the mail.....crank almost done. Block is going to the machine shop to get a lot of work done, as well as the rotating assembly. I may have him assemble the rotating assembly since he is a pro and I need it perfect.....I can do the rest....we shall see. He is very skilled, likes to stick the bearings in the con rods and measure to ensure tolerances are as good as possible, so that may be an option I would be crazy to skip at this point So, things are starting to come together. My shift knob and shift boot arrived.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

12-24-2022 UPDATE: Merry Christmas everyone!  Today I began disassembling everything to remove the existing engine and transmission.  After that, I removed the head and intake and exhasut manifolds all as one single piece.  Hooked up the hoist and pulled it all off!  Amazed at how the head already looks like the valves are been un-shrouded.  It appears that the head still has it's brass valve seats.  Oh well.  Even after draining the fluids, it still ends up messy and the remnants find a way to leak all over.  The top end is ready to go on the stroker short block, but I will do a bit of extra cleanup.  Next I pull the block and finish prepping the block.  The pistons will be here in a couple of days and it all goes to the machinist.  The rear diff will wait until this is done.  

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

01-01-2023 UPDATE. Happy New Year! I was able to finally get the engine and transmission out and into the bed of it's new home. I also was able to use my new carbide burr bit, and get closer to having the block ready to go to the machine shop. Clearancing, clearancing, clearancing. Because I am boring so much, I can't fully clearance the bottoms of the bores until it is back, but I was able to finish the sides. Pics follow. 🙂

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

Edited by A to Z

01-09-2023 UPDATE:  Well I got the block, rods and pistons down to the machine shop, and the crank should be done tomorrow.  They ended up going .010 under on all the journals and got the runout completely out of it.  So after all of that, I went ahead and began the process of cleaning up and prepping all the stuff to be put back on when the block gets back.  I painted the engine plate and washer for the harmonic balancer in the Same "Old Ford Blue" I will paint the block with.  It's a Duplicolor engine paint.  Distributor, misc bolts, etc all cleaned up and buffed out with steel wool, I just need to paint the motor mounts and transmission mount......I still have a few more engine bolts to clean, then it is on to getting the crossmember, etc. painted in the car, that I couldn't really get to before when the engine was in.  Pics :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

01-14-2021 UPDATE: More progress......cleaning bolts up with the wire wheel in the drill and a pair of pliers to hold them. Then painting of more parts, and replaced the steering rack mounting bushings......went with urethane this time, and painted the K memberr. Lastly I spent some time cleaning uo the compartment before calling it a day. Pics follow. :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg