HybridZ

Carpet on modified floor pans/tunnel

fusion

I am finishing up a full restomod on a 280z.  I modified the floor pans and tunnel in several areas and also removed the seat braces so I can't use a standard carpet kit.  I'm planning to get a roll of carpet and install myself.  The hatch piece I can use a pre-cut standard product from a vendor.

Since the carpet won't be molded, it will be a little tricky.  I'll likely have to use heat and water to get it to conform.

I much prefer the look of carpet on the transmission tunnel vs vinyl. 

My current plan is to have 3 separate pieces: 2 for each floor, and one for the transmission tunnel.  

Since the pieces will be separate, there will be 2 edges touching where each floor pan piece meets the transmission tunnel piece.  One piece will have to sit behind the other.   My current plan is serging/banding the edges of the transmission tunnel piece and have it sit over the top of the floor pan piece.  Everything will be glued down.  Although I'm not sure how that will affect the wire bundle I have running along the outside edge of the passenger floor pan.  

Any advice or comments?  Has anyone else done this?  Has anyone successfully used a single piece of carpet to do this?  Has anyone paid a shop to do it?

Thanks

The plan is either for 1 piece that covers the entire floor and tunnel, or 3 total pieces: one for drivers floor, one for passenger floor, and one for transmission tunnel.  I'd prefer 1 piece so there are no seams, but I don't know if I can get it to conform, especially in the area where the tunnel, floor, and firewall meet.

If you want to go with one piece, you may be able to get away with just making a relief cut up in the front where the floor slopes into the firewall next to the trans tunnel. Everything else is pretty flat, and that way you'd only have a seam in a relatively inconspicuous area. 

Going with two pieces might be easier than one and be the same esthetically, since the "joint" would be completely under the center console and dash