HybridZ

'83ZX Wheels/Tires

Hi all. Sorry for another question on this already beat down subject but, I'm trying to help my Bro-in-law with a new set of wheels/tires on his '83ZX NA. I've set up a bunch of S30's in my life but I know visually and from reading through 1000 different posts that the S130's wheel/tire specs are a bit different. Stock suspension, slightly lowered. He wants to run a 16" wheel, not have to roll his fenders and have the tire close to inside lips without rubbing. He likes the look of the RB-R's so here's what I'm thinking...

Front: 16x7 +4 offset running 225/50/16's

Rear: 16x8 +4 offset running 245/50/16's

If I'm understanding correctly from what I've read, the fronts should fit without issue and should fill out the wheel well nice and a 235 would be too wide without rubbing or addition mods. The rears with 16x8 +4 w/245's may need a thin spacer to get the wheel away from the perch and out more toward the inner fender lip.

I've tried to get him to go with the staggered 17's but he wants 16's so, that's out of the question.

Any help is appreciated. I'm just trying to get him set up right so i can move on and start working on my '73 again!!! lol.

Thanks.

i think you are spot on for a sure thing fit. I have 17x7 front and 17x8 rear 225/45 up front and 235/45 rear. the only thing i did different then what you are talking about is i have 0 offset. but +4 is less than 3/16 of an inch so i dont think that will hurt you any. The front you have to make sure the tire doesn't hit the strut (i think you will be fine). The rear i had a problem with mine when the car squats, it would actually hit the front of the wheel well lip. That is from V8 torque. if it is still 6cyl you will be fine. Mine is lowered 2-3in

Thanks much for the quick reply G-Tech. No, power isn't anywhere close to your Z, which is very very nice BTW.

If I have to stick an 1/8" or so spacer up front to get the space needed between the tire/strut, so be it. For the rear, +4 will bring the wheel in a little more but running a 245 (10mm more than you) should put the outside edge of the tire just about where yours is at. No (stock) strut/spring rubbing issues you see running +4 with a 245 in the rear?

Hopefully I've got these calculations right, just hate to have him spend $ on a setup I incorrectly suggest.

Again, thanks.

Edited by Jersey

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again G-Tech. Worked out good. Front 16x7 +4, 225/50/16 & 16x8 +4, 245/50/16. No spacers or longer studs needed. May eventually space the front out about 1/4" just to get it a little closer to the inner fender lip but IMHO, it needs to be lowered a little first, then we'll go from there. He's real happy with the look.

2023_04_19_Rota_RB-R.jpg

Looks great, really clean looking body! Eibach makes 1in lowering springs. That is what i started with. The pic is with 1in springs. Probably all he needs. If he wants to go any lower, he will need Techno toy tuning coilovers. That is what i have now. The front can only go down at most 2in before it needs the shortened struts that Techno toy makes.

IMAG0195.JPG