HybridZ

Need replacement sheet metal (particular patch)

Hello. I have a 260z and it seems as though like others, my floors are shot. But not just them. My “floor” section where the seat belt reel sits in. It’s a little square bump out behind the seat. I can’t seem to find the correct name for this section, not only that I can’t find a patch for it. I don’t mind creating a new one. I’m just curious if there is one other there. I added a photo of the section I’m talked about down below. Let me know if you know anything. Thank you. IMG_5415.jpeg.a7d73471e427072751cec0ff130e2f42.jpeg

That's the "pocket" for the floor mounting of the seat belt system.  I can't say that I've seen any suppliers for a replacement panel of that particular piece.  You may want to search for owners parting out their car, and pay them to cut that piece out for you....very common practice.  Or you could just fab your own replacement piece, as you mentioned.  IIRC, it's a thicker gauge sheetmetal there than the surrounding areas.  Good luck with it!

@Ahvicha are you experienced with metal work and rust repair? That’s a small, reasonable candidate for a simple fabrication. Best part is, no one will ever see it if you screw it up. Buy some 18-gauge mild steel sheet metal, some poster board and start tracing/cutting a template. Then just cut the metal to the template outline. Use welders magnets from HF and a hammer to fit the new piece in and weld. 

you will have to remove all that rust back to shiny bare metal though. Use a wire wheel, and either a small dremel, die grinder, etc to remove the area for your replacement piece. 

If you are inexperienced with metal work, I think you will struggle regardless of whether someone makes a replacement/donor piece. I would spend some time practicing your thin sheet metal welding. 

And to tag on to what @AydinZ71 said...you really don't need to replicate the exact shape of the original sheetmetal for that area.  Any repair that enables you to maintain the original mounting point for the seat belt assembly will be fine.  However, please pay particular attention to that mounting point!  Ensure that its strength and integrity has not been compromised by the rust, or by whatever repairs you implement.