HybridZ

Can you visually inspect a clutch/flywheel?

I've never driven my Z Car, so I don't have any point of reference to how well the clutch might or might not work. I have the transmission off and while it's off was debating what if anything to do with the clutch/flywheel.

Some photos of the pressure plate are below, but I'm not sure if there's anything you can tell from that. Searching hasn't been super helpful as it just returns results on replacing the clutch.

If I have to take off the pressure plate, thinking I might as well just replace the clutch itself...

While I have the transmission off, I'm tempted to just do it, but if it's in good shape, don't want to mess with it.

Maybe I've just talked myself into doing it, but any other thoughts are helpful... Thanks!

IMG_2013.jpg

IMG_2011.jpg

Edited by nkopp

Its 6 bolts to take the pressure plate off, and you would have to do that to inspect the clutch disk. The clutch disk is the wear item, so that's what you would need to inspect and make a call on whether to replace it or not. 

I would at least take it apart and inspect it. 

• Like 1

That is not a Nissan pressure plate, as far as I can tell.  I haven't seen those four square blocks on a pressure plate before.  Might be some sort of "performance" clutch.  So somebody has been in there and it's worth checking their work.  The spring fingers seem to have some odd unbalanced marks on them too.  How does the throwout bearing look?  

Don't forget to check the pilot bushing in the end of the cranksaft also.

And, since the transmission is out, change the seal in the front cover, and the tailshaft housing.  Check the speedometer gear seals.  All common leak points.  Might as well do the shifter bushings, when you reinstall it.  They get brittle and crumble after many years.

p.s. you should probably do the engine's rear main seal also.  They tend to leak.  Painful to get everything back together and find out you should have done it.

Edited by NewZed

Ooh this is some better detective work than I could have done. I'll pull it out this weekend if I can and report back. Throw-out bearing is rough and was looking to replace that anyway.

Any particular kit to replace it with? I've been doing OEM replacement (whether through the various online Z shops or O'Reillys), for most stuff, but have splurged here and there and wouldn't mind doing so for a clutch. 

Thanks, all!

Edited by nkopp