HybridZ

Check out this BOV

ratedZ

I've got a used Greddy on the RX7, it's vented to air but fairly quiet IMO. Head over to http://www.thepartstrader.com and hunt around in the turbo car areas for a used one.

Oh, chatting with a guy that worked on RX7 all the time we got to talking about BOVs. You know how they make them loud? They stick whistles in the damned things! Seems really silly but they worry more about noise than pressure release icon_rolleyes.gif I'd think the whistle would get old after awhile...

if your running a stock turbo at stock booste a stock blowoff will work but start upgrading and you need a bigger blowoff. you can route any blowoff backinto the piping its quite and some people even say it keeps the turbo spooling. not sure if i agree but oh well. id go with the gready type R bowoff. best on on the market its rebuildable and you can swap out springs and it also has an adjustment screw .

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by ratedZ:

In other words it's just excessive noise and a DSM unit will work the same way...
icon_cool.gif

HAHA, you're right on the money. I had this thing on my DSM and still have it now. IMO this is the loudest a blowoff valve can get! When I ran 16# boost this thing was soooo loud that it was audible from 5-6 blocks away. It doesn't sound like the HKS SS BOV. The HKS sounds more like a high-pitched whistle and a ringing sound but the Turboxs sounds like gigantic airbrakes but with a higher pitch. VERY loud, the sound is more subdued in the car but if you're driving alongside a car equipped with this thing, you'll be scared sh*tless. But if I had a choice to buy a new BOV, it'd definitely be a Blitz.

I do want it to be loud...I know it doesn't add horse power like a big Honda sticker does *snicker* but I just wanted to see the people's look on their face when they hear the big psssssssss sound. I'll hold off for now though and get me a DSM unit. I'll just spend the $120 I'll save and get a 3" cat back system. icon_biggrin.gif

I dunno, but check the usual turbo sites in the DSM, Honda world. Those are the types that go for that sort of thing.

Me I'd rather have one that vents to the intake to be quiet - kids that drive by my house making their vented-to-the-air blow-off valves make noise kind of make me laugh - except they're driving too fast in the neighborhood.

[ November 05, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Not all BOV are the same... HKS SSBOV, Apexi and blitz dual drive works different. For example the HKS SSBOV has a dual chamber, one for low boost and the other for higher boost. This helps the turbo from spooling down better than the regular BOV and has better control in pressure leaks through the bov.

I loved the way they sound and don't mind if it's loud. I'd rather hear the BOV going PSSSST down my neighborhood then a V8 rumbling my house and a import that sounds like tin cans. For some reason hearing a turbo and bov impresses me more then how a NA V8 sounds.

BTW I have a Blitz Dual Drive and can change my springs if I go with a big turbo. I can put a filter to quite down the sound.

Guest Anonymous

Oh yes, there's a big difference in quality between the BOV's. The turboXS one I have I wouldn't recommend to anyone unless earshattering sound is what they're looking for. To point out how loud this thing gets, it supposedly hits 120db at 15#. I love the look and the sound of the the Blitz as well and only choose it over the HKS because it costs $140 less. I'd love to hear a BOV on a turbocharged V8....ummmmm....

I like it loud but not 120db loud. Sodp... I agree on the price, big difference. If I had a choice I'd pic the HKS. What I do like about the Blitz over the HKS is you can put the filter to quiet it down and you can change the spring for a bigger turbo.

Oh did I forget to mention I like the way V8's sound with a turbo icon_biggrin.gif

Sean here's the pics without the filter.

front.jpg

side.jpg

intake.jpg

BTW my buddy Jon (Jumbo240z) did the welding on the pipes and bov mount

Yes and that's a great price. The buy it now price is a good price also. I would buy it. You have to buy the mounting flange, I had to do the same with mine. I bought my Blitz for $150 shipped without the flange. Summit had my mounting flange, the price was good also.

Guest Anonymous

That was hard to weld...I wish we had a oxy-acetylelene rig to do that job. The important part is the inside is clean.

Ron, let's grind down the outside! icon_cool.gif

Jon