HybridZ

Not sure how to deal with a ticket I got

So my brother was driving my 74 260Z and got pulled over for speeding. On top of the speeding ticket the cop wrote another ticket for modified and/or removed emission equipment (27516 B VC) So i went to a state ref to ask what specifically needs to be done to get the vehicle cleared for use again. The ref said there is nothing He can do for me since its a pre 75 vehicle and to talk to the judge. Doesn't seem right since at my first arraignment the judge said if have to go to the state ref. I have an appointment with the judge tomorrow to get clarity on what needs to be done to fix this. And to top it off the ticket has the sticker on the back that says must be signed off by State ref.

For context the 260Z has triple mikuni 40s, 3-2 header, MSD ignition box, aftermarket fuel pressure regulator (thats all in the engine bay that the officer would have been able to see) So if they say revert back to stock Im prolly just gonna sell it. 

Try explaining that catalytic converters were not used until 1975.  The cop might have assumed that the loud exhaust meant that the cats were gone.  Take a copy of the Owners Manual and or the FSM pages that show that there is no catalytic converter.  Don't talk about anything under the hood.  Not a word.

Also point out that the car was properly tagged and registered with the equipment the cop cited as deficient.  And apologize for your brother's stupidity.

https://sciencehistory.org/stories/magazine/clean-machine/#:~:text=Beginning with the 1975 model,%2C nitrogen%2C and carbon dioxide.

Three years later the recently created Environmental Protection Agency mandated that all cars beginning with model year 1975 be outfitted with catalytic converters to meet emission standards. Thousands of researchers were put to work by catalyst companies and car manufacturers. General Motors alone, at the time the country’s largest carmaker, put 5,000 people to work on catalytic converters.

Sorry I forgot to mention that he did pop hood and pointed out the fuel pressure regulator saying that was illegal to have. So if i do take him to court he did see all the illegal stuff I have on the vehicle

Edited by datsun_dom

**UPDATE

Went to court yesterday and basically played dumb. Told the judge that "I went to the state ref and he told me since the car is so old that he couldn't do anything to certify it. So how do I go about taking car of this ticket. The vehicle is a pre smog vehicle so I've never had to SMOG it" The judge said "Ok so what Im going to do here is dismiss the case cuz it seems like your car doesn't qualify for an inspection. Sorry about the inconvenience Mr. Soto" I tried to play it cool but I was so happy. After reading all the horror stories from other people about having to revert to stock and all that I was lucky I guess

Hope this thread helps someone going through something similar 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, datsun_dom said:

**UPDATE

Went to court yesterday and basically played dumb. Told the judge that "I went to the state ref and he told me since the car is so old that he couldn't do anything to certify it. So how do I go about taking car of this ticket. The vehicle is a pre smog vehicle so I've never had to SMOG it" The judge said "Ok so what Im going to do here is dismiss the case cuz it seems like your car doesn't qualify for an inspection. Sorry about the inconvenience Mr. Soto" I tried to play it cool but I was so happy. After reading all the horror stories from other people about having to revert to stock and all that I was lucky I guess

Hope this thread helps someone going through something similar 

Cheers to you, my friend! A happy day for all of us to smile at