HybridZ

Supra Turbo Z

Guest Jason

I found this article in an Aussie online magazine I subscribe to.

http://www.autospeed.com/A_1111/page1.html

I don't think you can read too much of the article without paying, and it doesn't go into alot of detail anyhow. The site has quite a few nice cars and good articles, so I recommend taking a look through the sections (at least look at Tech Features!). Feel free to e-mail me if you want to know more about the Z.

Guest Anonymous

I think this is a great idea if you can afford to buy this engine/trans for a reasonable price. I know there are alot of 600 HP Supras running around Atlanta and that would be pretty bad in a 240 with a slick body.

Guest Anonymous

I think this is a great idea if you can afford to buy this engine/trans for a reasonable price. I know there are alot of 600 HP Supras running around Atlanta and that would be pretty bad in a 240 with a slick body.

If you scroll down the page on that site, there's a very pretty yellow Z (except maybe for the wing).

Tim

Sorry....Click on the 'featured cars' link on the left of the page, then scroll down.

icon_rolleyes.gif

[ October 04, 2001: Message edited by: Tim240Z ]

Someone posted a link to a web page featuring that yellow Z. It was a very fancy Flash site.

I was all gung-ho to put a 7MGTE in my Z. They can be had pretty cheaply. Trouble was that I found myself adding in lots of hidden expensives like turbo, ecu and intercooler upgrades.

Looks really good in there. I think if I'dve seen this article I might not have snatched this LS1....

Guest Anonymous

Man I love the Supra engine. 600hp with stock internals is a cake walk for this motor. If I could find one for a decent price, this would be my swap. I actually prefer this motor over the Skyline motor just because of parts availability in the states, IMO. Great engine, if only I could find one...

Guest Anonymous

Man that is one clean lookin Z, how many external goodies is on that motor, i could only read the first page, and it didnt go into much detail, id like to see some dyno figures and 1/4 mile times for it too!

Is it worthwhile subscribing to? ive read a few good articles in the free section and i think ill subscribe.

• 3 months later...

I'm putting a 7M-GTE into my `72 very shortly. I have experience with the supra engine because I have a `87 supra turbo. My Supra is only doing around 300hp, but that is due to the ECU fuel cut off limitation. My Z will be using a stand alone engine management system (Wolf3D v4.0), 5 speed tranny, a starion FMIC to start out with. As I have more time with it I'll be doing more, like upgrading the stock turbo's compressor, and going with larger injectors.

All I have to do to get it in my car is make up some mounts, and run the piping. I picked up a Japanese low millage engine, and it looks to be in great shape.

I'll fill you in more on the details later.

I've been trying to finish up my `73 240Z's L24ET setup before I drop the 7M in.

what about a 2JZ-GTE engine?

i would like to do this swap.

has anyone ever heard of this swap before?

i think it would be eaiser than a RB26dett

because the turbos are on the passenger side of the 2JZ-GTE and driver side of the RB26dett

so not to interfer with the steering rod

of course i could be wrong.

Joe

LOL, just now spotting this thread and didn't know a 2JZGT motor from squat in October anyway (lol). As we've seen with th ecar on E-Bay right now the 2JZGT motor apparently fits icon_smile.gif

As for cost - guys I don't think it would be much more than a built SBC! Seriously, I've seen Toyota shortblocks for sale cheap from dealers and you can occasionally find a long block on Supraforums. A turbos would be expensive if you didn't go stock - as much as $5K but they can be had for less and the E-Bay car looked like it had a weirdo exhaust manifold anyway.

As for the 7-MGTE, I wouldn't do it. Weak head gaskets and they just don't seem as strong as the 2JZ. The aftermarket SEEMS stronger for the 2JZ too but it's possible I'm biased icon_wink.gif I can take some measurements if someone is looking to do 2JZGT and can look out for parts on SupraForums if someone is serious.... I'd LOVE to do it myself!

Guest Anonymous

i just think putting the supra motor in would be somewhat pointless... its cool and all but the l28et coudl get the job done and it bolts in and if you really want the power V8, why reinvent the wheel when you can improve it? my 2 cents

Pointless? right..

I would do the supra swap in a heartbeat if i had the money and time. I have a built L28t, and still wouldnt pull up next to a supra. SCARY.

Supra and v8 is a totally different bag.

Sure the end result either way is fast, but the supra motor is just something differnt that can make tons of HP for about the same money you would blow on an L28t

I've actually thought of running the Supra drivetrain in my z car many different times. As for the headgasket problem its not really a problem anymore it turns out that you just have to crank the headbolts down like 15lbs more, and it fixes the blow out problem.... Im toying around with the z31 and the Zm from the toyota so far i think ill lean slightly to the toyota side. And bolt on that small ball bearing t66 turbonetics turbo... icon_cool.gif

Guest Anonymous

Evan, what i was trying to say was if you wanted to make create more power than a built l28et then i would turn to the SBC, i think the supra option has its merits definately, and its very cool looking but its not a proven application. the SBC probably weights less anyways with aluminum heads that is.

Guest Anonymous

yeah yeah thats great, but with all the upgrades from huge ball bearing turbos which are at least 3000 for the pair, fuel managment another 1000, injectors fuel rails, not to mention the intercooler it all adds up, to achive that 600-700rwhp takes alot of aftermarket upgrading but that motor has sooooooooo much potential its limitless, it performs superbly with the twin application and just great with the single turbo application its just so damn versitle.

"yeah yeah thats great, but with all the upgrades from huge ball bearing turbos which are at least 3000 for the pair, fuel managment another 1000, injectors fuel rails, not to mention the intercooler it all adds up, to achive that ... "

Umm, first of all ball bearing turbo(s) aren't needed. Most folks are skipping them as their benefits haven't been realized for the cost. Second - hi-po Supras run ONE turbo. It's been found that a single spools nearly as quickly if sized right and costs half as much - not to mention the complexity you skip. Singles DO cost BUX though but I'd point out that my car - running as rich as 9:1 (argh!) put down 389HP and 427ftlbs (at the wheels) on STOCK turbos. Yes, the boost was pushed to 21lbs or so but Supra motors can take that icon_eek.gif In fact if the turbos could move the air I could go even higher say 25lbs or so (!). My built 383SBC made 300RWHP on what looks like just primaries. I'll get more with EFI (I'd better!) but I promise you the 2JZ is more streetable at the 600RWHP level. For that matter if I run a turbo capable of 600 700 is just a knob twist away - and maybe some race gas (lol).

Fuel management - yup a grand. No getting around that - how will you do that cheaper on a "built" EFI V8? I'm looking at $1600+ to do my (V8) fuel management and maybe not even that cheap depending upon my choices (sigh).

Injectors... Gen2 RX7 injectors and a built rail. Or buy the SP railinjectors for $900. Yup, ouch! However the stock injectors are good for about 550RWHP supposedly. icon_smile.gif I'm trying to find out how to do this cheaper myself using the RX7 parts but it may not be worth it. (shrug)

Intercooler - NPR baby! It fits the Z and costs nothing like a Greddy etc. Scottie - what are you running? I'd run what Scottie's running and save some cash on the intercooler!

So - to get to 600HP in my Supra here's how I hope to do it, should be much the same for a Z swap:

AEM ECU - PnP to stock harness. They make a "race" version I may use in the Z too. PnP is $1365, race a bit more (shiver).

Dual Walbro fuel pumpsfuel system upgrade. $250 or so for pumps icon_smile.gif A few fittings - some already on the way icon_wink.gif

InjectorsRail - Ouch. $900 most likely.

Intercooler - $1K? Dunno yet but it would be WAY cheaper on a Z.

Single turbo - most likely an SP63. BIG bux. On the Z this might not even fit - the one Zupra on E-Bay seems to have a custom manifold that actually might be cheaper. The turbo itself isn't too bad, not sure about the manifold but coated probably around $1K.

I'll hit 600RWHP with that combo if I go that far. SP63 setups are getting Supras (IE fat pigs) into the 10s! icon_eek.gifhttp://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17406

attachment.php?s=&postid=146594

Imagine that in a 2500lb car. How would you keep it on the ground when boost came on? Actually, that's a good question - could you even use the power? I can't hook up 389RWHP now very well icon_sad.gif

As for the older Supra motors.. http://www.supraforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19936 so I guess they're capable too! 29PSI - sick I tell you!

Anyway, I think this is a worthwhile swap even if it's not the cheapest...