HybridZ

DIY knock sensor

I’ve been using Megasquirt 3x on my 3.2 for a while now . I had a knock sensor module installed on my X board . For some reason I can’t get it to work . I have a feeling there is a defect in the pin out during install . I’m not good enough to troubleshot bad install of a module and I’ve been reading about the usefulness of a cheap audio version that could made for 50$ .

Background - I had to tear down my 3.2 because I had remove the crank to clean up the snout from a bad balancer . When I popped out #6 I found a broken top ring and evidence of detonation . Admittedly I was aggressive with timing and it bit me . There were no signs of the broken ring and the pulled 225 rwhp on the dyno . In fact that cylinder showed the highest CR = 220 psi

This engine trans package is very noisy . I had straight cut gears and Kameari chain tensioner and a loud exhaust . I thought I heard ping around 4300 and attributed it to a rattling shifter - oops . # 6 was the only cylinder with any damage . 
I also pulled coolant from #6 at the head with a bypass to help mitigate problems . 

This time around I want to make sure this doesn’t happen again . I followed this you tube video.

i was skeptical but it really works well. I drilled a hole above the freeze plug around 5&6 . Plenty of met there and there is a flat boss area for the sensor to sit flat against the block . You can hear the valve train clearly but you can also hear the ping clearly . 
I ended up pulling 4 degrees out of total timing on 93 octane . 
Megasquirt 3 allows for individual spark trim and I am going to try and isolate the issue to number 6 if that’s the case . 
Anyways - it’s not as good as real time retard available on ECU’s , but it is very effective to show some limits . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zboi said:

Can you share your ignition timing chart?

Not a final version , but this is where I left it last run . This eliminated all pinging . I just started to dial in more fuel to see if I could raise timing . I also having trim tables to isolate #6 if that’s the offender 

IMG_8409.jpeg