240z NA - T

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well I am new to the baord let me introduce myself

I had a lightly modded 1973 240

4 bbl holley

headers

susp...

My question, just picked up a 82 zxt engine and trans, ecu, wiring harness.... of course I am planning on swapping....what exactly do I need to do this and where can I research this issue???

Thanks for your time

Guest Anonymous

I to am a MKIII owners....I have 2 of them.... is there anyone in the DC area that has done this swap before????

I wqas thinking of just putting the eningine in make it run with stock ecu work out the bugs..play with the boost...

After I get tired of that I will start the motor build up...I would take it to a shop to get bored and honed....

Here are a couple question I have in my mind right now...

1) How much boost will a stock L28ET handle??

2) When I tear down the block what should I do to it, how much bore, what type of pistons.

3) How much HP can I expect from a t3/t4 hybrid??

4) Can I use my stock drive shaft, and can my 240 rear handle the power of the L28??

5) What other thing would I plan on doing??

stock datsun efi isnt gonna get you that far past 200hp, thats when you gotta motec that thing. man im telling you a four barrel turbo is off the hook! anyways the efi swap is probably really reliable, a turbo, a couple stops to the plumbing store, junkyard bov, a drill and a welder man, whoosh whoosh. crazy cheap.

which supra is the mk3?

my buddy who cant drive stick bought one from the auction, 1989 or so, man that thing is

cool, has all this greddy stuff on it, turbo timer and stuff, whips a doughnut like what, and

if you dog the clutch, it will two leg through second! and that thing weighs tons!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah the MKIIIs (86.5 - 93.5) are pigs...but I love mine..nice rice and luxury amenities smile.gif

What are the best cheapest engine management systems that have been proven on the L28T????

I hear SDS is good any more options????

that guy hoover is selling a accell unit on buy/sell forum. 500.00 and probs needs 500.00 in wiring and sensors. sds is pretty good as well. average about 2000.00 for all equipment needed for efi. thats doing it on your ownsome.

Call me a fool but I prefer the MKII Supra over the MKIV. We've had Supras in the family, even when it was still called the Supra/Celica and looked like a bad byproduct of a Pinto mating with a Porsche but it was a reliable car. The MKIII Supras were more of a cult car unlike the MKIV's. You could make crazy power with the old 1JZ's.

It really bothered my how a lot of MKIV would bash the old MKIII's but when all is said and done, I think the older gen was quiter and had better ride quality than the last gen TT's. Besides, if the 1JZ's were so "flintstone" and had a weaker design, I wonder why Toyota continued to use that motor in the Chasers or Mark's or whatever they call them in Japan. A friend of mine stationed in Japan says that bone-stock, Chasers are better tourers and are more adept at a roadcourse than MKIV's.

Sorry, back to the subject at hand: I'm looking for something along the lines of SDS as well. I really don't need loads of features, I just want a unit that is user-friendly, simple to install and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Is SDS the one for me?

Guest Anonymous

The US spec MKIIIs (MA70 + MA71) came with the 7MG series engine. the 1j never made it to our shores. The main thing plagueing the MKIIIs is the whole HG thing but if you retourque, or add a MHG and some studs the 7m hold up fine... As for me I love the MKIVs of course in Japan the TT MKIVs where running smaller injectors and were more seriously governed... I love the body and the 2jz is bullit proof....

2K!!!! for the SDS I heard somewhere it sold for under 1K.....

Beef - I've done the swap in my '78Z

"Here are a couple question I have in my mind right now...

1) How much boost will a stock L28ET handle??

2) When I tear down the block what should I do to it, how much bore, what type of pistons.

3) How much HP can I expect from a t3/t4 hybrid??

4) Can I use my stock drive shaft, and can my 240 rear handle the power of the L28??

5) What other thing would I plan on doing?? "

1) A stock L28ET will handle dang near anything you can throw at it. SHANE is running 23psi on a stock L28ET. Key is good intercooling and plenty of fuel.

2) If you want to build a stronger motor, you can condition the stock rods, stock crank, and maybe some 0.020" forged pistons with total seal rings. You don't need a large bore, but you can bore them to 89mm.

3) Depends on which hybrid you get, but a T04E will support 450+ hp, after that you might consider a full T4 and a custom exhaust manifold.

4) The drive shaft should be OK for 400hp, as should an R200. If you have an R180, replace it.

5) Aftermarket EFI is a good option, otherwise stock electronics work well to 250-300hp.

Guest Anonymous

Beef,

welcome ala hybridz board! Just to answer a few questions...

I know someone who can get you 20% off on sds, including all of the fast idle, knock sensor, etc all the little needed things for turbo's

BTW, I'd go coilpacks (in fact, I *AM* going coilpacks, when I can finally get my motor built).. you could control advance/retard sufficient to boost and also lose the stock distributor ;)

I've heard real good things about SDS, and considering it is one of the few fully controllable dfi that doesn't require a laptop, etc. and all that $3k plus expense.. for those of us who just wanna get enough fuel to prevent detonation tongue.gif

IF you're going to rebore your block and order new forged pistons, IMO go 3mm pay a tiny bit more for everything and get the extra .19 liters or whatever it comes down to (which is, if you look at the datsun garage where half of the extra stroking to 3.1 comes from).. remember that in a turbo motor an extra few cubes will get you quite a bit more charged air cfm.. many more horseys!

I think somebody once said in response to the stroker l28et that getting to 3.1 would be equivalent to just pumping up the boost 2 psi. NO way, no how... in my studies of this I've found that in certain cases (500+ cfm) increasing the displacement at 18psi running at least 70%+ compressor efficiency would result in about 30-60 more hp! :eek:

while another two psi might increase 20-40 hp in an extremely efficient turbo, intercooled system.

SO anyway, that's my little speil on how significant increasing the bore to 3mm (which is positively as FAR as you would ever bore to.. .100 would actually be safer-- ~2.5 mm).. I'd recommend venolia or JE for forged pistons. Those will probably run you around 700,

I'd agree w/ sleeper that the stock rods, crank can be used.. get everything magnafluxed, and balanced. I'd say a good t3/t04 correctly mated to really push through the upper 1/3rd rpm range could make well into 400 hp. Get a turbonetics catalogue for maps if you want to look at garretts, or go here ray hall turbocharging

they have maps, software, and a whole bunch of good calculation stuff that I often use, especially the turbo selector and hp generator. BTW, I'm just curious how much hp are you looking to make?

With sds, a big intercooler, a t3/04 I'm putting at least 3-4 grand into the built motor... but I'm definitely not shooting anywhere in access of 400.. that's monster hp and I'm only building my zx up as a daily driver.

Good luck and keep us posted on the swap! :D

-980mak

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I was looking at the SDS-3 6F, with some options...I haven't nailed down yet...I am on a limited buget right now and I believe that I will save up for the SDS unit strip the block down myself and take it to a machine shop and get it vatted - steamed get new rings stuff like that and but it all together slap it in get a 76-77?? EFI gas tank, FP .. start with the stock injectors, stock turbo, strip the EGR crap...try to get a DP from Scottie (I hope he can still get them I love the design)and a 3" exhuast try to find a NPR intercooler, BOV and see what she will do...then get money together and go from there...

I just want something to run around in for the summer... Do think I can do it....any thoughts anout my plan (I really need input smile.gif )

Also how can you tell it my stock 240 diff it a r200 or a r1800??? and can I use a electronic boost control on this setup or only a manual???

Guest Anonymous

Beef,

yeah you will need an electronic pickup and you might as well swap tanks, it should be too hard to find and fab one from an efi Z..

I am just curious.. you didn't by any chance buy that Z off zcar.com did you? :D

I saw you were trying to attain one

The choice of electronic/manual boost control is up to you. Manual is cheaper and many use it here to much success. Personally I don't mind sniping a greddy profec-A off ebay for about 300, I think that's a pretty good price.

Also a timer for about 90..

It sounds like you're doing a similar swap.. I'm intercooling mine, getting the hybrid t3/4 and getting larger injectors/fuel system.. but nothing too huge...

I'll get a 240 and swap in a 383 for the real s&g's flamedevil.gifflamedevil.gif

but this will put plenty of power to my ZX, fast enough to give those z32's a hard time tongue.gif

I like the idea of building up my swap to be able to handle high power, but still retain efficiency and daily driveability. Like you, I want something to drive around in this summer, while I'm restorying a 240 :D

-980mak

Guest Anonymous

My 240 has been sitting and doing nothing for about 4 years now..... I got a hair up my @$$ and finally decided to do something with it.... I am going to get a good start and then build as I go and when the money comes back rollin in smile.gif I could get 13s i hope out of the setup I plan on putting together this summer.... LMK the contact info of where I could get the 20% discount off that SDS.... yeah i am definately going w/ the coil packs baybee :D