HybridZ

Turbo "Reclocking"

Guest Tom Scala

Basically, all you're doing is changing where the output from the compressor housing points to, which can be done by anyone.

You will, of course have to modify/fabricate wastegate actuator mounting and piping for (I would imagine) and intercooler, or at least from the outlet to the inlet of the TB.

If you can handle this last stuff, the re-clocking should be a cakewalk.

Guest Tom Scala

I have a chance to buy a new t3/t40E 50 trim from a private seller for a nice price but the turbo needs to be reclocked to mount it on a L28. Is this something someone who has never taken a turbo apart could do themselves? Is there anywhere to get a shop or assembly manual for one?

reclocking is pretty easy. all you have to do is loosen the bolts around the compressor...should be around 6 of them and turn the compressor housing.

As Brad-manQ45 said, you may need to move or change the wastegate actuator bracket though (assuming it is an intergral wastegated turbo). If you get really lucky, your reclocking would simply position the actuator directly into the next set of holes....but it never works out that way...atleast for me icon_mad.gificon_biggrin.gif

• 3 weeks later...

depends on what kind of turbo it is. mine has a big v-groove clamp that holds the exhaust housing to the center section. you can undo the clamp a little bit and rotate the senter section/compressor side to wherever you want....360 degrees of rotation...almost! remember that the oil outlet must point as close to straight down as possible, you really need a little bit of ole gravitys help in oil evacuation of the bearing section. but as staed earlier....if you havea built in wastegate than you must take into account the wastegate accuator and what not.

good luck....