HybridZ

Hatch weatherstripping issue

fusion

I am running into a slight problem with my Kia weatherstripping in the hatch.  The spot where the weatherstripping runs over the hatch lift mounts is too tight and forces the weatherstrip to sit higher in that area.  This is making my hatch not close correctly.

I could either:

1) grind down the removable part of the mount.  This might not even totally fix the problem as the non removable part may also be interfering 

2) cut away the lower portion of the weatherstrip.  This should alleviate the fitment issue but that small (~2") length would not be attached to the body.

Has anyone else had this issue? 

20240915_201132.jpg.ebc08f8898aa6ab91397e0ecfdbac46f.jpg

Hey @fusion, I had similar issue last time I replaced my hatch weatherstripping.  I did not do anything special in that area, and it hasn't been an issue since.  The seal just conformed to fit over time...the seal 'bulb' looks like it's squashed a little thinner in that area.  The hatch closes fine, and I haven't had any leaks (it's been several years). 

At the time, I think I used generic weatherstripping from Pep Boys; so maybe it's a different overall thickness than the Kia weatherstripping?  Mine appears very similar to your pics, but I don't remember it causing any difficulty in closing the hatch.

Sorry -- probably not much help to you.