HybridZ

home made MAF tubing? help

what can i use for home made MAF tubing?

i'm looking at my options. i'm thinking of alumimum. but what can i do my self?

i do not have the equiptment to bend or weld alumimum or stainlass i know i can have it made up

but what are my other options???

Maybe buy mandrel J bends of SS or AL and use those silicone sleeves with T-bolts here and there to tie it together? Welding would be better, but if you can plan it out, there might not need to be too many silicone sleeve joints. You could mock it up with mild steel mandrel bends first.

Warren,

You might try checking at your local Home Depot and see if they carry ABS. I've built dozens of 3" MAF to Turbo intakes for 1G and 2G DSM's using simple ABS pieces. On a 14B 1G (92 Eagle Talon TSi) it gained 12whp (at the wheels).

I bet there is something you could come up with. Just take the stock intake down or kind of imagine how it needs to look and just go browse down at your local hardware store.

Although several people have used it successfully, I've never built one using PVC (white), so I can only recommend using ABS (black) as it has a much higher melting point than PVC

If you go with steel any cheap MIG welder can do the trick, maybe someone near by you will help you out for a 6 pack, or a drive around the block, but don't combine the two :D

I don't want to invest much money into my orange car, so I picked up 3 feet of 3" aluminized steel from a muffler shop for $9, cut it at angles with a chop saw, and welded it together. Probably not the smoothest route, but if you consider the stock 280ZX Turbo rubber air intake with the acordian part I'd say this is an upgrade over that.

Look at my post from yesterday for a picture:

Click here and scroll down a little

That was when it was just tack welded together and the AFM was held by tape, but I welded it up today, and put on the silicone. Just got back from driving it around, and the car runs noticably better, just like it would before the engine would warm up. Noticed that at freeway speeds the car is more responsive.

If you have a diesel truck parts store in your area, they should have some very heavy duty nitrile rubber hoses that you can use to connect everything together. I used regular 3 inch exhaust tubing, had one piece bent slightly at the muffler shop, and used the nitrile pieces I bought. They are faily cheap, and you would have to suck some major air thru that turbo to collapse one IMO. Probably tear up the turbo before the rubber collapsed. These things are like a quarter inch thick, and very grippy. I had a hard time cutting mine.

T-bolt clamps should not be necessary, although they look better. I have my maf in front of the radiator, but when I had the AFM out there, the car was not happy about it for some reason. I guess I could have loosened the spring a little, but it was really unhappy in cold weather until warm.

PVC would work to, although I am not so sure their 90 degree bends are restrictive somewhat. Make sure you check them out before going that route.