HybridZ

Can I Make my Own Exhaust Manifold

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

HI,

I have a garret T3 turbo that i got for free off of a saab engine. now the problem is that i have to find a exhaust manifold that fits my car and adapt to the turbo. by the way car is a 93 honda civic HB...please don't laugh :)i have seen some turbo manifolds made for hondas and they look like they were home made. so i was wondering if you guys know if i can make my own manifold and what would i have to do? I hear i can get the tubings from muffler shops but don't know if this is true. thanks in advance

lloyd

There are lots of shops out there that have manifolds already made, I think the problem you are going to have is finding one that matches the flange on the saab turbo.

You would be way ahead of the game to get a turbo that has the proper flange to mount to one of the current manifolds out there.

Thats my .02.

Guest Anonymous

I definatly agree Lockjaw. Your problem isnt in your manifold persay, but the flange that the turbo mounts too. A custom made manifold/header can cost close to a turbo kit for your civic. I would try and sell your SAAB turbo and invest in a turbo kit for your car. They ae worth the money in the long run cause you get everything you need. ECU, Injectors, tubes, and some of them even have an intercooler (DRAGIII)which your high compression engine will want and need to help aid in detonation problems. One more peice of advice this board is for Z owners we dont take kindly to Honda's or questions about Hondas. nono.gif I am sure there is a Honda Board you can find that can better anwser your questions. weird.giftwak.gif

Guest Anonymous

The exhaust is in the front of the engine bay right? Should be fairly easy really, even a stock manifold with a U on the end leading to a flange for the turbo. I've seen examples of 'homegrown kits' on Ebay, its just a bit of exhaust pipe and a flange. The fuel system and all that you'll need to work out of course.

Incidently, thats sort of a scam market for those turbo's on like Ebay, they get a turbo from pick n pull for like 40 bucks and advertise it for honda's and other imports and usually get a quick 100-150 bucks for them. If your considering buying a turbo there used, save some coin and go pull it your self if you can. Unless paying someone to take it off is worth it to you. (sometimes it might be better, they are exhaust bolts and you know how those can be).

If you still are interested in building a manifold try this:

http://www.sdsefi.com/techheader.htm

With it sitting right on the front of the head, a simple header IMHO would be fairly easy, get a header flange somewhere, or fabricate one, some straight weld el sections and a larger tube for the log to mount the turbo flange to. Hope that helps some.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

I have been messing w/ the Honda's for years. The best site for information would be hybrid.honda-perf.org and their message board. Alot of knowledgable people there. Here's a link to a site for the "homemade turbo" for a honda. http://www.homemadeturbo.com/t3.html I have a zxt, and am looking at getting a 77 280z, just so you guys know I am legit Z owner.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for that site, that exhaust flange adapter to the stock manifold was worth a look, easily duplicated for a good many of us perhaps on a upside down Chevy manifold of some sort for the V8 turbo guys, bolt right to the turbo, love that. (I think it'd be tight putting them that high though, maybe upside down LT1 manifolds?)

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

godspeed,

a question is a question. if you don't like to answer it then just don't. plus this question relates to the topic of turbo and if you don't have anything positive to say about the topic then go to another post.

Guest Anonymous

lex lemme be the mediary here. I don't think godspeed meant it in offense. Yes this is a turbo section, but it is also a forum specifying Z cars. When he says there are honda sites that would better advise he's not kidding. I doubt anyone could give you better information here than what a pro stock modifier (and there are "many" for hondas) could tell you. To emphasize my point.. do you usually go to a nissan dealer for your honda parts? tongue.gif

It probably wasn't the honda factor, although there is some definite rice cynicism here, myself included. Of course I'd rather see you modify something else but if I could help you I would. Don't get me wrong, turbo projects are cool no matter what you're hybridizing, and I'm pretty sure that flies with everyone else on the board.

Good luck with your project

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest bang847

dude.. the honda isnt worth making fun..

i want to get one too. dont get me wrong.. but just for a daily driver...

if i could sneak in a lame-o joke...

forget turbo!! get a body kit!! 8psi boost or 500 extra hp (with stickers)?? :eek:

Well I guess I will jump in here too. I think we will gladly answer a turbo question, and we have alot of people that are experienced enough to be included in that group, and I would say I fall in there too.

I think what Godspeed was saying is this is not a Honda forum, and for the most part, the reason this site exists is to get away from the other Z sites that give people crap for wanting to stick a V-8 in a Z, or a Grand National engine, or just deviating from stock.

We Nissan guys that lean towards the Nissan engines have limits as to what we can do or the administrators will shut us off, and if we start getting a bunch of Honda (no offense) guys on here asking questions, that will create problems for us as well.

Now if you are putting the honda engine in a Z, then that is a different story entirely.

Anyway, I am not giving you heat, just info so you understand why things get said. We try to be pretty polite folks, and are willing to help with just about anything. We just want to be able to stay here instead of the other site's too.

SO, that said. Good luck with your car. I would suggest you finding a turbo off a Nissan 280ZX or 300ZX single turbo only. That would fit any T3 manifold you would buy from one of the kit makers, as long as they use Garrets.

Most of or all the T3's has the same exhaust flange. From what I remember the 280zx turbo has the same flange as the Saab, I would try to find a 280zx or 300zx turbo, it's bigger then the Saab. The link BEN99 put http://www.homemadeturbo.com/t3.html is a 84-89 300zx turbo which is exactly the same turbo as the 280zx turbo except that it doesn't have the watercooled section. There both set a 5.5 psi of boost.

BTW my friend's brother had a Honda Civic with a decent size turbo doing high 11's. To top it all he his gas mileage went up also. I would defiantly get a Honda Civic for a commuter car and do the same mods but on the outside it would look stock except for the bigger tires to support the power - basically a sleeper. Oh and since it's a turbocharged the car wont sound like tin cans coming out of my exhaust, the turbo quiets the car quite a bit.

Guest Anonymous

"We Nissan guys that lean towards the Nissan engines have limits as to what we can do or the administrators will shut us off, and if we start getting a bunch of Honda (no offense) guys on here asking questions, that will create problems for us as well. "

I'm not sure thats so. The administrators won't shut you off for having a opinion Nissan or otherwise. They will shut you off for being rude or not respecting anothers opinion or being a nissan purist who is close minded (not implying any of these are you, just explaining what I know of our moderators and what they've done in the past) and think that anything put in a Z thats non-nissan is blasphemy.

Perhaps it wasn't a wise idea to post here, but if we jump down anyone's throat for posting a Non-Z (even though it was technically about turbo's and it just says Turbo/Supercharging, it doesn't say Z car turbo's except in the smaller print) post than we're being no better than some of the other Z sites that are often criticised for being to vicious in they're message boards. Out of that post, I got some valuable (to me) information and if people would put aside they're attitude towards honda's you just might find something useful they're doing we can copy. The mechanics of a engine and its mods are the important thing we may learn from, the actual make IMHO isn't that important.

I personally think its amusing we bash (and yeah I've done it to) Honda's when we drive japanese cars as well (domestic engine or not!). Understand that most of the 'ricers' are kids just trying to hot rod what they were given as hand me down cars. If we have a problem with that, then we'd all be driving stockers because thats how the guys back to the birth of hot rodding did it, they got old T's and A's from they're family, or bought it cheap and hot rodding was born from that.

All I'm trying to say is have some tolerance and you may just learn something from these guys once you get past the kitchy bodywork. Just a personal opinion and obviously is in no way a opinion of HybridZ admin, just an observation of how they've reacted in the past to situations.

Off soapbox,

Lone

well i have to say that i turbocharged my mazda B2000 and put it on here i was excited and no one bashed me.And for the manifold just get the one from the saab the turbo came off of and cut the flange off and weld it to your manifold you have now it's what i did on the b2000 and it worked great.I since then kinda killed the engine with 10psi of boost and had to put in a l28 so now the mazda is a legit half z :D

Lone, well said! I'd say this Administrator is in lock-step with your thinking!

Who can blame the guy for coming here looking for good turbo info anyway - this forum has some great turbo experts on it. But unfortunately, probably not alot of Honda turbo hybrid experts.

Guest bang847

I think i totally understand why 240lex came and asked here...

The mechnicals of all engines (except for diesels and rotarys) are about the same as is the mechanicals of inductions systems..

I really got to say that I have become comfortable to learn most if not all stuff automotive here...

I think the feeling i get towards Hybridz is that the fundamentals here are well spoken and that the knowledge here applies over all makes and models...

i think a good mechanic is a good mechanic.. regardless of what he is working on.. sure the specialty isnt honda.. but he is only asking advice..

We know there are alot of really knowledgable guys here on hybridz that you just wont find on the honda boards... add to that knowledge honesty and, maturity; why wouldnt you ask all your questions here..

I also understand that all this free information is costing someone money..

that someone intended this to be a Z forum and i think it is our obliglation to honor that too.. but hey nothing is stopping you guys from sending personal emails..

Lone is right, I was talking about purism, when I was referring to us Nissan guys.

Hey Scotty, I bet that truck gets bad traction with an L6. :D

As far as Honda bashing, I just don't like that loud fart pipe exhaust that people like to put on them, and of course that applies to all cars, Nissans included. I have found that as I get older, a loud exhaust just doesn't seem very cool to me anymore. As long as the car is fast, I don't care who makes it.

Now if it is a Yugo or something, then I would likely bash it some.

Good luck with the car. Just be careful with the boost knob. A stock honda engine will not live long if you get happy with the boost.

Guest Anonymous

Lockjaw,

Yeah I hear you on the exhaust, while loud exhaust sound neat as hell for a while and at the shows everyone goes wow, but after a while of listening to the drone it gets old IMHO. Same with gear drives or blowers, love the way they sound on someone else's car, not sure I could dig the whinning the whole time (I could get a whinney girlfriend if I was looking for that) :D

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

No Honda Bashing. I like Hondas, and even have some respect for them as high performance autos (I even own one). I am not here to bash you. Just letting you know what your posting is a Honda Question about a Saab turbo for your Honda on a Z board, and a Honda or Saab Board (do they even have one?) Would be a much better soarce of information. Please dont take offence by that. If you woulf like to e mail me about your Turbo Manifold for your SOHC D16Z engine I would be glad to help, and may even be able to point you in the right direction.