HybridZ

How many people would be interested in a Header for a T04 Tu

Guest 70240z

Guest Anonymous

*raises hand shyly*

Well..

I think all of us turbo heads dream of headers, but very few can actually fork out a grand just for the metal.

The design isn't too bad, although I don't see why the flange couldn't be moved up forward for more equivalent lengths in the tubes. I just see how long that 1st tube and how imbalanced the pulses might be (this is from my moderate amount of knowledge on turbo headers). The wastegate integration looks good though.

So the question on my mind is... how much MONET? :confused::D

-980mak rockon.gif

I would be interested if the price was reasonable. What wastegate would be required?

I is a nice looking unit, probably worth a horsepwer or two. HAHA

Be nice to know something soon since I am planning on snatching my hybrid off and having it upgraded this week. I can hold off on sending it though, I guess.

Guest Anonymous

About the t3..

would you still be using a t3 turbine if you're upgrading to a turbo header? It just seems a little off, using larger headers when the stock manifold performs well with a t3, or any small(er) turbine pushing around 300 hp. This goes for hybrids too. It seems like once you're at the stage where headers become more efficient for the cost you aughta be moving on up to a t4 turbine too. Say a 60-1 for instance. Its your money I guess :confused:

Ahh well. weird.gif

'70240- I think once you lay down a reasonable estimate you might find that there is much more interest among us. I mean the price of turbo headers can vary such based on the intricacy and technicality of the design. See what I mean?

perhaps if you could get the tech specs, like how far the head/turbine inlet flanges are apart (for clearance of the turbo/steering box, etc.)

I wasn't sure about this but wouldn't the wastegate adaption really not matter? You would just weld teh wastegate flange of whichever model you bought and then port it to fit.

-980mak rockon.gif

Guest 70240z

Thats the question.. I havent decided..

Right now I've just started taking all the measurements to design the flange.

After the flange is done then I will start working on the first prototype

Also, If anyone has a junk t3 or stock housing laying around I could use to make the fitment for one of those.

Kyle

http://zdriver.com

http://strictlyz.com

Guest Anonymous

Kyle,

So would you be able to work the tubes more equivalent? If it means you have to push the flange further away from the head to a point where a large turbo wouldn't fit then don't worry about it, but an asymetrical design would be sweet! I'd be willing to dip into the 240 fund to get some nice headers.

Keep us posted on the design.

-980mak rockon.gif

I agree that equal length would be nice, but the stock manifold is not equal length, and the real benefit to the header is going to be the improved flow. Besides with a turbo, you can make up for the losses of not equal length with mo' boost.

Who ever posted about the 60-1, you can do that one on a hybrid too. That is what I am going to next.

Let me know how it is going.

I think a header would looks sweet...the only thing is I've had a lot of turbo guys tell me that for the amount of money you have to put out for minimal gains...it's not worth it. Again this is just second hand info. I guess if I had the money it took to get one made I would still do it as I'm sure it works hand in hand with other engine mods.

You are making a trade-off here that may not get you HP or even cost you HP. A huge key to a turbo manifold is retaining the heat that enters the turbo. The more heat across the turbine the more power you will get, and quicker spoolup. Hotter air has more volume right, that volume pushes the turbine blades. True the ZXT manifold is not perfect but it'd short and retains the heat and a lot less prone to cracking.

The theory behind a header is to tune the pulses to actually help suck the exhaust out. On a turbo header you can tune the pulses but the end up at a huge restriction the turbine blades right away.

1. Ceramic coat old manifold to retain the heat

2. Reduce any flow restrictions in the manifold

3. Use a thin wall downpipe to dissapate heat after the turbo, smooth turns to reduce backpressure with a 2 1/2" min diameter.

Here is a good article on the theory, remember the turbo exhuast is a special case where extra ponies can be had if you go about it the right way.

Fmax turbo manifold

I have to say, I bet the 5% they are talking about is a comparison between their manifold or one like it and a tubular one. Keeping heat in the thing is easy, jet hot coat it.

5% more HP is ok with me, HP is like money, you can't have to much. Besides once you get a Z up into the range most of us turbo guys are in, you are not going to have much of a chance of picking up large amounts of HP anymore.

Don't get me wrong though, you bring up some good points. I just think we would never get the stock exhaust manifold to flow as well as that header one. Maybe the one Bell Engineering sells would be close, but it is 700 bucks. It costs 550 just to get ours extrudehoned.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Any progress? I'm still interested in this, and it looks like 5 or 6 others spoken for too. I'll bet if you advertized on zcar.com and zdriver you'd spark a huge buy. I'd still like to know foremost the price, and perhaps any discrepancies in the design. Don't leave us hangin, man! bonk.gif:D

-980mak rockon.gif

Cost-to-benefit is what matters to most of us and not necessarily the absolute cost being high or low. I think that a design that provides some added flexibility in function and application makes sense. Instead of making a T3 or T4 model why not make one model to which a T3 or T4 adapter flange bolts up? Enough space should be allowed between the turbine housing and the placement of the external wastegate flange so that the flange could be capped and an internal wastegate turbo be used...or, a small quick-spooling little turbo be put on that wastegate flange to get things started...like priming the pump. DAW

Guest Tim78zt

Kyle, would I still be able to retain the air conditioning compressor on my 78 turbo with this setup? I'm old and need that cool AC here in the Texas heat!!

Tim78zt