HybridZ

TDC?

DAT240Z

When I set my car (83ZXT) to TDC (timing mark on the sprocket and the line on the cam plate are lined up, the mark on the crank pulley is lined up at the 0 degree mark, the cam lobes are up and the valves are closed). I pull the distributor cap and the rotor is between the #5 and # 1 plugs. Shouldn't the rotor face the # 1 plug at TDC? Also when I put a timing light on the car it was at 32 degrees advanced, I moved the distributor the other way to lower the advanced and the car ran worse that's when I though to check the timing marks. I set the car to TDC, 4 times and every time the rotor was facing between the two plugs 5 and 1. What could cause this would the distributor shaft happened to be off a bit? Is it possible to pull the oil pump and turn the shaft a tooth or two to get the rotor to line up with the # 1 plug?

Guest LAYTON

i just had to do mine and 5-6 times id line up the mark on the oil pump and the dist drive shaft and the lil bastard would move a tooth in installation id tripple check the drive shaft to make sure it hasnt moved a tooth sooner or later youll get lucky and it will go in right thats funny the exact thing just happened to me last week i thought for sure i had it right 3 times but the manuals picture is a little vauge and so on hope this helps be patient youl get it !

Sometimes those rings on the dampner move, and your timing marks are wrong. I have a ZX engine in my 260 that is off so far, when I checked the timing with a dial back timing light, I could not even see the mark at 60 degrees advanced.

I figured that someone had taken out the dist, and had it 180 degree's out, but it wasn't.

You need to check your top dead center mark on the dampner and see if it in the right place. If you can rig something up to stop the piston, rotate the engine by hand until it stops. Mark the dampner. Then turn it the opposite direction until it stops and mark the dampner again. TDC is in the middle of those two marks.