HybridZ

A turbo question that has been answered many times but Ican'

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

k well I'm going to sounds really stupid but I figure I might as well try to get my question answered because I have looked in all the search tings on zcar and places and havent'found exactly what I need...my question is..I have a 81 280ZX N/A and I saw 3 280ZX Turbo's at the junk yard all with relatively complete engines..Is it possible to take parts of the turbos and put them on my N/a to make it a turbo...and if so what parts will I have to get off??? Thanks in advance

Well, you can give it a try, but I would not recommend going higher then the stock boost levels with the bottom end, pistons and that stuff. I would have to check, but I do believe the N/A piston moves the top compression ring closer to the top of the piston if memory serves me correctly. That could be a problem.

I would get the complete ECCS fuel management system from the turbo car, the 82-83 year car is the best harness to get because of some of the things used on the earlier car is not as easy to install. You will need the ECU,distributor,AFM and plumbing, the injectors and the fuel rail, the turbo, and the Jpipe, the air cleaner and couplings, and that is about it. You will need to make sureit doesn't over boost. I guess the best thing would be to get the whole intake with the fuel rail, injectors in one shot because the turbo intake is made just for that, the turbo application.

On theturbo side you will need the exhaust manifold, the down pipe, and I would suggest with the cat, and run a 3" cat back system with a dynomax muffler.

Thats about it, and see how it goes, allot of people say it cant be done with the stock bottem end, but I think they are strongewr then most think.

Really, the best you could go is to just get a turbo engine and go from there, the F54 block is stronger then the N42 (Ithink) block, and it is already setup for the turbo application. You may get a better price on a complete engine if you just yank it complete then to take all of the parts and throw them on the counter and buy them. I would ask what kind of prices you can get for a complete first and go from there.

If it is just a matter of wanting higher compression with the turbo, then you can take the head and have it resurfaced to get the compression ratio you are looking for and call it even.

hope that he :D lps you

Well, you can give it a try, but I would not recommend going higher then the stock boost levels with the bottom end, pistons and that stuff. I would have to check, but I do believe the N/A piston moves the top compression ring closer to the top of the piston if memory serves me correctly. That could be a problem.

I would get the complete ECCS fuel management system from the turbo car, the 82-83 year car is the best harness to get because of some of the things used on the earlier car is not as easy to install. You will need the ECU,distributor,AFM and plumbing, the injectors and the fuel rail, the turbo, and the Jpipe, the air cleaner and couplings, and that is about it. You will need to make sureit doesn't over boost. I guess the best thing would be to get the whole intake with the fuel rail, injectors in one shot because the turbo intake is made just for that, the turbo application.

On theturbo side you will need the exhaust manifold, the down pipe, and I would suggest with the cat, and run a 3" cat back system with a dynomax muffler.

Thats about it, and see how it goes, allot of people say it cant be done with the stock bottem end, but I think they are strongewr then most think.

Really, the best you could go is to just get a turbo engine and go from there, the F54 block is stronger then the N42 (Ithink) block, and it is already setup for the turbo application. You may get a better price on a complete engine if you just yank it complete then to take all of the parts and throw them on the counter and buy them. I would ask what kind of prices you can get for a complete first and go from there.

If it is just a matter of wanting higher compression with the turbo, then you can take the head and have it resurfaced to get the compression ratio you are looking for and call it even.

hope that he :D lps you

Pull the whole turbo engine and ecu and wiring harness and put the turbo engine in your car. Stay away from the 81 turbo since the harness has the crank angle sensor down on the balancer versus in the distributor. Easier to upgrade to JWT stuff with the CAS in the distributor.

Jeff is also correct about the NA piston rings being closer to the combustion chamber, and since nissan went to the extra trouble to make a turbo piston, I think it is a good idea to use it instead of an NA one.

Have fun.