HybridZ

what did you guys do to fit the t3/t4 into your z?

fl327

i know it basically bolts up because of the t3 hot side, with some change to the rubber hoses and such, but im wondering more on the oil lines and such, im running the factory hard line into the banjo fitting and factory dump to the oil pan on the other side, what changed plumbing wise for you guys-my turbo went bye bye the other night and ive got a line on a t3/t4 60-1 for a good enough price to bite on and want to have most everything ready for the swap to get it done quickly, cause its the little things like that that makes things take forever....

I'm not sure which compressor housing the 60-1 fits in, but my V trim T04B did not require any oil line mods, because the T3 fit to my manifold without a spacer. You will find a large T04E compressor housing needs to be spaced from the manifold to keep the compressor from interfering with the intake. This may need some oil line mods, maybe just a more flexible drain using existing fittings though.

I think there is a steering box issue with one of the ZX's but don't know which one.

The T04b's can make 450 or so HP, the E's do a little more because they can run efficiently at higher boost pressures.

My T04b fits in my ZX, but just barely. I cannot clock the compressor housing with the turbo on the manifold.

Even if the turbo is an E housing, and you have to space it out a little, the stock oil supply line can be tweeked to match up. On the bottom, if it doesn't line up on the drain, cut off the bottom part and get some good oil resistant hose, and run that from the turbo to the oil pan.

The stock AFM hose is to small at the turbo side to connect to a T4, but you can go to any tractor trailer parts store and get nitrile 3 inch connectors, and use 3 inch exhaust pipe to fab something up. I can tell you this, when I was running stock fuel injection, I put the afm in fronf of the radiator, and it did not like it, especially when cold. Once warm it was ok.

The 60-1 is a good sized turbo, so you really need to watch your boost until you have the fuel supply covered, or you will have more than just a dead turbo.

went to the jy the other day, got out the crows foot and the big sockets and bars and yanked, not one, not two, not three, but freakin four turbos out of 280zxts and 300zx's, found a gem worth keeping, a factory t3 with no shaft play looking like a replaced unit(really did not look like it belonged on the car it looked nasty, but the turbo was looking pretty clean, car had wrecked something viscious on passenger side fender,, quickly bolted it up( pulled an all niter to get my dog barkin again), we back on line baby, did take a precaution and used my threaded wastegate rod and set it back to 6psi for safety, im flying half mast for a little bit now. youre right, im not going to try a t3/t4, i got a heavy right foot and would blow myself to pieces with my current setup, for now im gonna build around it with plans for a hybrid turbo, nice fmic with fat pipes, take it easy so i can make some progress is what i mean. if and when i go bigga turbo, im for sure gonna address fuel delivery and management, but for now im gonna t3 my arse off-in a while.