HybridZ

Air-water intercooler, opinion?

yo2001

I think I'm going to go with an air-water intercooler on my turbo motor. Everybody know, it's more efficient but I'm wandering how reliable would it be? Also, how long the water stays cool enough to be efficient? My car is going to be daily driver not just a drag car. I got a good deal on a large (17 x 10 x 2 1/2 inches) heat exchanger (radiator) already so I only would need the pump, intercooler itself, and reserve tank.

What's really cool is that I can hide the intercooler under the hood so the car is not going to look as an intercooled turbo car.

Anyone running air-water on 1G Z with turbo swap?

I want your opinions. Thanks

Hi,

I was going to run an air to water IC on my '83 ZXT last year but decided against it for a few reasons.

1) You need to get a separate electric pump (like a marine pump) that is always cycling - extra load on your alternator.

2) You will need to get a separate rad for the air to water set-up, so installing this would be similar to mounting a front mount air to air IC - brackets etc

3) Quite a bit of extra plumbing

In addition, the cost was going to be a bit more than the air to air front mount IC, by the time you buy an air to water IC, the electric pump, and the separate rad. At least the separate rad you can get cheap at the scrap yard, but the other two items will have to be bought brand new and air to water ICs are not cheap! I bought an Isuzu NPR front mount IC off ebay for $200 and the plumbing will not be too expensive.

If you prefer the stealth appearance of the air to water IC thats cool, I actually prefer to see the shiny aluminun end tanks on a front mount unit.

Well good luck and let us know what you decide.

Regards - Yasin

i-1_B.JPG

I'll have shiny aluminium in my grill. :D It's going to look more like a oil cooler though. I'm not too worry about my alternator. I got 125 amp Maxima one on my car. And as my understanding, I couls used like 1/2 inch copper tubes to plumb the radiator to intercooler. (that sounds easy) Well, thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

Yo,

what is that heat exchanger out of?

I have no clue Scottie. I just got it from ebay for $35 free shipping. I thought that was cheap for a brand new heat exchanger so I got it. Must be from a NASCAR or something because it is huge. :eek: (17 x10 x 2 1/2 inch) What you guys think? Is that going to work for an air-water intercooler? It has inlet/outlet treads on each end. Also, did you guys notice the placement for dual fan ;)

I had thought about a water to air setup at one time but, after reading some of the info in Maximun Boost I changed my mind. Heres why..

Many more componets to be maintained and posssibly fail.

Only more effecient if you can cool the water and get it cycled though the system when you need it. It will heat up with hard street driving and take awhile to cool down. Something to think about it if you make several hard runs in a short time.

Where to put a large tank to hold the water. The larger the better.

Once the air to air is setup your done with it. Kinda nice to not have to mess with it once it's done. :D

One thing to think about is to look at is what are most if the fast street cars running. Of course if you just want to do something different then it sounds like a great idea.

Thanks Cody. Well, only thing I'm concern is the water pump going out. But that's a big concern I guess. :D I'll be running two fan on the heat exchanger so I'm not too concern about the water boiling over. My understaing is that the water has better heat transfer even when the water is hotter than air. (not too hot) Well, thanks

One of things that would be cool (no pun intended) would be if you go to the track you could put in a ton of ice and get the air temps real low. Also if you had a water temp and air temp gauge it would be fun to see the relation bettween the to as you drive and circulate water. You might be able to get one of those dual gauges from that place that makes air craft gauges that I can't think of that name of right now. But, you proubly know which one I'm talking about. Scotty uses them on his car.

You could runs the pump so that it is on a timer or temp switch. That way the pump would last longer.

Air/H20 IC's are great. But, are they worth the extra time, weight, and effort involved? Not in my opinion.

Also, unless you add ice to the system, you are really just creating a complex air to air IC anyway. (You're using the water to cool off the I/C, and you're using the radiator to cool off the water, but what cools off the radiator? Air =o)

You say you don't want it to "look" like you have an FMIC..you can always grab a sidemount I/C from a saab or a DSM and mount it in one of your fender openings so that it wouldn't be seen.

Originally posted by hoodwink:

hey yo..

i dont understand exactly how youre planning to make that core work as a air/water intercooler? i assume you are planning to use the heat exchanger you got as the intercooler unit? from what i understand its easier to apply a smaller face area, deeper core intercooler, then reverse the flow.. ie force the intake charge through the usual direction of ambient air intake were it an air/air unit.. also i believe it is more efficient to use a copper core heat exchanger for air/water.. or you could be using that thing as the front water cooler?

whew seems like a ton of work hehe.. there better be some significant gains with such an easy alternative available smile.gif i applaud you for taking it on though. would be neat to see a working unit in a z smile.gif

The heat exchanger for the water to cool down and it's going to go in front of the radiator. My understanding of the a/w intercooler is that I'll need a heat exchanger/radiator in the front, an A/W intercooler that goes from turbo to intake, pump, switch, etc. Yeah, I think it's going to be alot of work plus money but I think it's going to be about even with air to air since the good air to air cost big time money and all the plumbings. I won't need much plumbing done because I'm planning to put the intercooler right by the intake. It'll get better response since there will be less plumbing to go through.

Originally posted by awd92gsx:

Air/H20 IC's are great. But, are they worth the extra time, weight, and effort involved? Not in my opinion.

Also, unless you add ice to the system, you are really just creating a complex air to air IC anyway. (You're using the water to cool off the I/C, and you're using the radiator to cool off the water, but what cools off the radiator? Air =o)

You say you don't want it to "look" like you have an FMIC..you can always grab a sidemount I/C from a saab or a DSM and mount it in one of your fender openings so that it wouldn't be seen.

The water has better heat transfer even the water becomes hotter than air. I think. :confused: So the effiecincy is still higher than air to air. I don't know much much heavier this set up is going to be but all alumnium, it won't be that much heavier. I guess I can use more heat efficient fluid too if I really needed too like water wetter??

Guest Anonymous

hey yo..

i dont understand exactly how youre planning to make that core work as a air/water intercooler? i assume you are planning to use the heat exchanger you got as the intercooler unit? from what i understand its easier to apply a smaller face area, deeper core intercooler, then reverse the flow.. ie force the intake charge through the usual direction of ambient air intake were it an air/air unit.. also i believe it is more efficient to use a copper core heat exchanger for air/water.. or you could be using that thing as the front water cooler?

whew seems like a ton of work hehe.. there better be some significant gains with such an easy alternative available smile.gif i applaud you for taking it on though. would be neat to see a working unit in a z smile.gif

Originally posted by TimZ:

quote:

Originally posted by yo2001:

I've alos told I could use aome alcohol to bring up the heat transfer of the water.
What was the reasoning behind using alcohol?

man, I type bad :D Anyway, an alcohol suppose to have the better heat transfer so the water/liquid can stay cooler under the hot weather condition. I could be wrong though :rolleyes: