HybridZ

Has anyone used a GN intercooler?

rags

I used to use one. And it worked pretty well with the piping I had for it. I didn't moddify the intercooler I just worked around the goofy intake neck. If you do some research you'll find a site the has a new neck that can be welded on and it really helps it flow better. I think it was Kenny Det....(mot going to attempt to spell his name) Anyway, the neck part has some major flow restrictions in it. All you do is cut the neck off and have the new one welded on. In the Z car you might even just have a simple cast tube welded to it to eliminate the neck and make it easier to fit in your car. I saw one at the the national convention that the guy had it in side ways and all polished up. It looked great. I will tell you though I picked up 4 mph in the quarter when I switched from the GN intercooler and stuff to my HKS set up. I think alot of the power came from the different piping I used with the new setup. It was much smoother and flowed better. The old setup was not welded and had to many connectors to lose pressure and come apart plus it had some crazy bends and angles to it. I have one of the GN intercoolers in the garage that I'd love to let go for a fair price.

actually only 87 GN had an IC.

i got a nice IC from a ford thunderbird turbo

i cut both in and out ports on the IC they was way to small. so i cut off the ends of 2 throttle bodies i have and welded them to the IC now it's 3" in and out. it's a nice IC and not a whloe lot smaller than an GN'S ic

scott,

not trying to offend any one here. or maybe it's my lack of knoledge on GN'S. a friend of mine has 3 GN'S and i'm fairly sure they are 84, 86, and 87 that her has. the only one intercooled is the 87. i maybe wrong. how can i tell by looking at them by the year? i noticed the turbo is in the back on his 84 and 86 i believe and the 87 the turbo is in the front. i have just taken up some recient intrest in the buick GN series and still do not know alot about the. so if i'm wrong and i verry well maybe. sorry about that

we had a gn run 12.43 with that stock intercooler, were not tech enough to know if we were running max efficiency, but that gn is fast as hell, it does have a larger turbo and injectors though. but they ugly, but hey if you can find one cheap enough, you in there, good sleeper cause it looks like a radiator kinda.

GN stays GM and the Z stays Nissan (for now!). I already have a GM motor in a Z but it has two more cylinders! The way I want to do it is when the 3.8 gets upgraded the stock parts go on the 2.8. So far I've done it with the injectors now I'm looking at the intercooler. And Scottie is right, 86 and 87 are intercooled.

Joe