HybridZ

need help with oil pan

Ivan280zt

ok guys here is what i got. we just got done putting n42/p90 combo. everything was going fine until we went to put oil pan on. for some reason turbo oil pan (out of f54 block as you all know that) wont clear my oil pickup unit. first we tought that there is difference between nonturbo and turbo oil pickup unit but we had both of them and same thing happend again. oil pickup unit kept hitting oil pan. so is there something wrong or do i have to modify my nonturbo oil pan. does anyone have any experience with this i would for sure appriciate any help. thanks

Guest Anonymous

let me get this you got a N42 block and a P90 head

yes?

i bet they rotated the bolt holes

in other words the sump points at the 3:o clock spot instead of 2:0 clock

lol thats a good one sorry but that sucks

try a stock F54 pan if it hits that

it looks like cut spin and weld time

make the cut high by the bolts weld it a little hot if you need to then grind on the in side the weld that makes it in

after you think its all clean drop it in hot water then clean agen

dude that sucks :mad:

You know, that is interesting to me, I have bought the Nismo comp pan and pickup for my F54 block. I hope I dont have to cut and weld my pickup om my car, that would suck the big one. Now I'm thinking there may be more modifications to install this pan. cry2.gif

man this sucks big time. everytime something comes up that stops you from moving forward. dont you all just love that. so what should i do now modify my oil pickup by cutting it or modify my non-turbo oil pan by drilling and welding line for turbo on it. any toughts?

IMHO - I'd use the stock NA pan and cut a return hole instead of cutting the pickup. Or you could get an AN bulkhead fitting for the return line. Just drill a hole in the pan and slip the fitting through. There is a nut on the outside and it seals with an Oring. Quick and easy - no welding req'd. But - locktite the nut. The cut/reweld pickup method has more potential for problems

Doug

Hum - Low cost - I may be the wrong guy to ask about that as it seems every time I start an upgrade to the Z - it ends up costing about twice what I thought it would when I started. On second thought - maybe more than 2x the cost. If you are looking budget - forget the AN fitting and swap over the stock fitting from you turbo pan.

I've forgotten that most of the world doesn't have used AN stuff kicking around like I do(Aircraft mechanic) - Sorry redface.gif

Doug

yes true about everything costing twice as much. i was talking to friend of mine and he said that i need like few fittings and like foot or two of ss lines and that i am looking to spend about $60 to do the job right. thats not all that bad at all but right now i have other things to spend money on so i was just looking at another options.

hey doug you said that you are aircraft mechanic right. my mom got my job at mobile aerospace so i have to call the boss man tomorow about it. dont know what it is but i need job right now so i dont care that much as long as it pays. so if i do get the job do they have all kinda little things that we can use on cars or what. just wondering.

Oh ya - do you ever come across stuff to use on your car! Think aluminum and all the wonderful things you can build with it. Seriously - what you gain from a job in aerospace is the skills and confidence to tackle any upgrade you want on your ride. Also - most shops have a selection of machine tools and lots of guys who are gearheads.One of the guys I work with runs a monster Brodex in a Nova w/ juice/ladder bars/full cage on the street - you should hear it - sounds like the end of the world! It also pins you to the seat like nothing I've ever been in. The sky is the limit on what you can do. My 240 runs z32 brakes/z31 lsd and CV's/5 bolt hubs and Turbo EFI - All done with my two hands(and some cake - but a fraction of what a shop would soak you for one-off mods). IMO - seriously think about the job.

Good luck - Doug

• 2 weeks later...

well i just got my nonturbo oil pan back. friend of mine welded piece of pipe on the exact same spot as on turbo oil pan. he did very nice job (it was free cheers.gif ). the only thing is that pipe that he welded on is just a bit wider than stock one on turbo oil pan. my question is when we put all this together and if my stock line is to small (line that goes from turbo to oil pan) because of oversized pipe that he got on it. is there some kind of rubber that can stand high temperature or something similliar to it.

My N-42 block and oil pickup worked just fine. I put it all together about 2 weeks ago. I had both the F54 pickup and the N42 on just incase... I think they are the same.

Wait a sec.... did I put the pickup in :D:Dtwak.gif

Also not to cause trouble, you are sure that the pickup is in there the right way, I think it could be easy to put in 180 deg off. HTH

cheers.gifcheers.gif

~Kenny