HybridZ

turbo w/carbs

ITSAV6

Here was my pull through setup that I ran on a L24/E88 combination, with my distributor modded a little.

enginecompart.jpg

Ran a single SU carb that kept running out of it's fuel bowl, what a pain, also I don't think my air/fuel ratios were good enough for under boost.

Was only able to run like 6psi, and I probably only made like 15 more horse power over the stock NA setup.

I talked with a guy that had dual Jag SU's that made a good amount of horse power. He didn't have 1/4 mile times to back it up or anything though.

My fuel injection setup is far easier to maintain, and my car with the intercooler probably has 50 more horse power than my old setup with the same block. I did switch heads, and the electronic ignition seemed to help too. I'm now able to run about 14psi.

Corky Bell wrote an excellent book on the subject of turbocharging, "Maximum Boost". In the carburetor section he explains that most of the issue with carburetion is the narrow range of airflows that carbs can deal with. There are all sorts of issues with pressurizing carbs you might not think about until you are hip deep in the conversion; like collapsing bowl floats, and the necessity for a bypass valve to keep from flooding on throttle lifts (fuel squirts through the idle jets). With fuel injection these issues either are no-brainers, or simply don't exist.

Ultimately I believe FI will be cheaper if you have driveability in mind at all.