HybridZ

scottyMIz's engine diagnosis

scottyMIz

well guys got it pulled down and the verdict is............. the ringlands broke and so did one ring.The first piston got the worse of the two in damage.The number two piston has one small crack and one small break.The cylinder walls look good no pitting or grooves which is very good.I can't believe the strength of these l28's i have beat on this motor and then turned around and beat on it more and it just smiles at me.I have to say this engine is the strongest engine i know of or have ever seen.After i broke it i still raced people with it and beat on it figuring it's already broke might as well finish it off and you know what i couldn't! smile.gif There is no way i'd go with another engine after all this i'm sticking to the engine that i have been proven to can handle just about anything.I have a question for you guys... i could just replace the two pistons, rings, and bearings and put it back together or i could just do as i was and get the forged pistons and new rods, what would you do and keep in mind i'm not working for a place that pays alot like some of the big dawgs on here :rolleyes: I am getting an aftermarket engine management system no matter what.But that just about takes all the money i'll have for it this year.The rods are gonna cost alot but i'm ready for that.Give me your two cents please? oh ya if anyone wants to see pics of the pistons let me know i'll put some on the net. :D

Would love to see pics of the damage. I'm glad your block is doing well. I bet I have similar problems with my NA pistons in the L24ET, but I still push that little thing to 13psi and still loven the G's. Will keep pushing the bottom end until it goes south, and hopefully it doesn't take the turbo along with it.

I'd go with replacing what's broken, getting the stand alone, and a nice front mount intercooler. If you have a little money left over you could upgrade to CV's, put rear disks on, and work on that external waste gate setup you were talking about, maybe even play around with different turbo sizes if you get bored :D . Since reading about the fact that people are making 350 to the wheels on 100K+ mile internals your new internals should really hold together as long as you keep the knocks down.

Perhaps you'd like to get the car on the dyno with the new engine management system. Lots of people are saying it's worth the money to tune on the dyno.

Also consider spending money on an adjustable fuel presure regulator, electronic boost controler, larger injectors, custom intake manifold, that tubular header you were talking about, hmmm.. does the list ever stop? I know mine doesn't.

that is good thinking tony maybe i'll just get what i need and get the rest later.But i think i'll still get the pistons from tim so i have them and then worry about the rods later.I co0uld just slap in the pistons with out any cylinder work since they are so nice.But i think i'll run the berry bush thru it again and call it good.Now the next question should i use nissan pistons or should i have my father-in9law order me two?I used carquest rings before i'm sure the pistons will be fine.I might even replace all the rings but then maybe not i dunno yet i have to get prices.I feel like my head is gonna explode puke.gif

Boy Tony! I just get excited reading your post and all those goodies you reccomended to Scotty! burnout.gif

Hi Scotty!

I agree with Tony. If it works don't fix it. Heck you just rebuilt that baby last winter. I remember you really had alot of self control breaking her in right. The rest of the engine is all seated nice and cosey ready for whatever further abuse you will dish out with that future SDS 2thumbs.gif . Did you do a compression test on the other cylinders, before you tore her down?

I second that "get a better I/C" also. I'm still trying to shadetree mine. She runs better and has more power than I ever thought she would! I really missed not driving her for so long!

I should have a Aeromotive AFPR next week to see if I can lean her out during normal operations(with my stock computer cry2.gif ). We'll see.

Oh yea; Tony! last May I drove thru your neck of the woods. To visit my Mother in Northern CA.(via San Simeon; had to show my family a good time visiting Hearst Castle :D ) Traveling West on Hwy 58 from Bakersfield I must of counted about five Z cars parked outside and around Bakersfield!

Scotty, if you don't make out on your day job I bet you could get on with a pit crew at a racetrack. You got this engine repair down!!! cheers.gif

thanks len, the more i think about it i think i'm gonna go with the new stock pistons and just amke due whith what i have.But there it the one part of me that wants to do every thing right and change the pistons.I will get the new ic cuz i need it and the same with the stand alone engine management system.I believe the stcok bottom end will handle alot from what i have dished out to it.

The Nissan rods are stout. I would R&R the rods with ARP bolts and pony up the $ for the forged pistons. If you have the money for pistons and rods, you should have almost enough for pistons and ECM. You just have to put a value on your time. You will break more stock pistons without intercooler, but at same boost levels the forged pistons should hold you until the intercooler goes on. I'd get tired of pulling it out all the time...

i kinda like taking the engine out :D But i do have a line on some good forged pistons i just need rods, Those are gonna cost the big money.The sds is like 850 and that will take most of my tax return if not all.Then i'll be strapped for cash.I want to do it right but if i don't have the cash then i'm kinda stuck.I'm gonna get a good ic before i run it this coming year so i know the stock bottom end will handle it,as long as i don't let it detonate like i did before.It actually detonated alot before it went so i know it'll hold up good.(i hope)

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Good job scotti, if you just patch it with a pair of pistons for now make sure the ones you put in weigh the same as the others that are in the engine for balance. Some people say its splitting hairs and I have done that type of repair without doing so I guess its up to you. Looks like fun.

Guest Tim78zt

Hey Scotty!

Does it look like you will get away without a rebore? Let me know. I haven't torn mine down yet, but preliminary indication is same for my #1 and #2 cylinders after severe detonation. Still don't know what caused it.

Any idea how far we can go on a rebore on the F54 block? Seems like I read someone going .100in, right? Guess I need to start looking for a good price on JE forged!! Have any 89mm laying around?

Tim78zt

Guest Tim78zt

Hey Scotty!

Does it look like you will get away without a rebore? Let me know. I haven't torn mine down yet, but preliminary indication is same for my #1 and #2 cylinders after severe detonation. Still don't know what caused it.

Any idea how far we can go on a rebore on the F54 block? Seems like I read someone going .100in, right? Guess I need to start looking for a good price on JE forged!! Have any 89mm laying around?

Tim78zt

hey tim the cylinders are perfect no scratches or anything!I am just gonna run a berry bush thru them to make the nice little cross lines in it and get it ready for the new rings.I dunno how far the cyls can be taken but when it goes again i'm going for the forged pistons.I wanna see how far i can take the stock bottom end and how long it will hold.If i hadn't let it detonate i would have been fine but stupid me bonk.gif I had to push it and i pushed it very hard..... I"m suprised it didn't die after the way i drove it after it broke. :D