HybridZ

intercooler piping sizing?

fl327

starting to plumb the npr, wondering what different sizes would do in terms of lag and spoolup. im looking to run a 3" mandrel to the tb (60mm+3inch) so it matches the opening in the tb and the porting done to the intake,

and a 2.5 or 2.75 to the turbo, for now im going to run the stock turbo on it, turn up the boost the little bit, and have fun. wondering what lag will be like once i do this, i know i will have a lot of pipe to pressurize, i dont know how its gonna fit, but i got a angry holesaw thats ready to work with me on it though.

Guest JAMIE T

Len, I think 2.5" would be plenty for that app. What size is in/out-lets on the NPR? I was looking at a Blitz IC kit for a 240SX. It uses 2.5" tubing and a 24x12x3 core. That should be enough for 400-500hp at least. The guy who was selling the IC(not to me, I was just near by) said it was good for 1000hp, I just started laughing and called BS. I have a funny way of doing that when folks make claims they can't back-up. Maybe he is right, but I would have to see it to believe it. I think the 2.5" tubing would make your plumbing job alot easier over some 3", and for some reason 2.75 tubing isn't that easy to come by. 2.5" is plenty for you(and me too).

I have a 65mm throttle body and went with 2.5" pipes. I just have a 3 to 2.5 adapter right there. For as much power as I'm making 2 1/4 would probably be better suited, but it works well enough for me as is.

3" would just give you problems, more expencive, heavier, more lag, less space to work with.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Hey guys, I match my turbo outlet on the charge side then up the plumbing if the T-body is larger from the intercooler. Its good in most cases to make a increase after the charge has been cooled as long as everything is smoth. My intercooler is 2 1/2 from the 60-1 outlet to the T-body and its consistant all the way threw. If anyone needs mandrel bends I have them in stock aluminum or steel starting at $14.00. Good luck...

Alex Costa

Precision Machined Engines

1-800-665-0405

I'm using 2.25" steel tube, which matches the inlet and outlet of my IC. Did the heat and stretch thing to get a 2.25" ID turbo hose to slip onto the 240SX 60mm TB. No noticable lag between running the J pipe and the spearco with 2.25" plumbing.

Pete