HybridZ

turbo power resistor

Ivan280zt

tonight i went to crank my car for the first time with turbo swap so i have good news and bad news. good news motor actually turned over without and weiard noises (well for now) and the bad news is that i am not getting any spark from my coil (stock coil out of 77z). i have swaped all electronics from turbo car except turbo power resistor (i know that problem is somewhere around coil wires) so now i am wondering if i need to swap turbo power resistor too. please bare with me i am doing this for the first time and i am not good at all at it. i appriciate any help.

Ivan

Guest 280Tom'z

use a test light across the terminals on the coil if your not getting power there check the resistor and just keep tracing back til you get to the battery but if you are getting power at the coil then it is the coil

The Turbo ECU can not fire the coil directly. You need to use the power transistor to privide drive current to fire the coil. I hope the ECU is not damaged.

The turbo wire harness doesn't have a power resistor. I think the part you are talking about is the power transistor. That part gets a trigger from the ECU and 12 volts from the battery. I would suggest getting a good schematic of the turbo wire harness and you should be able to get the car running.

The igntion trigger is built onto the 280zx turbo's coil mount, which NEEDS TO BE GROUNDED for it to work. It does not pull ground through a wire, it pulls it through chassis.

Can use one out of a 300zx, but it wires up slightly different, same idea though. I think it actually has a wire for ground.

jeffp

yeah i guess what i meant was power transistor (is goes right by coil and i belive it has two or four wires conected to it). i am going to get one of them tomorow and see what that does i just hope that it cranks up one of these days its just been while since i drowe it and its killing me. guys thanks alot for such a quick replys will see how it works out when i get of work tomorow just keep your fingers crossed for me on this one.

Ivan