HybridZ

question on BOV placement. New guy here.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone, Im new to this board. It looks like a cool site.

This is pertaining to my 1970 240Z with turbo L28 motor. Any how heres my question. Im getting ready to put on a blow off valve, and I was wondering about placement. Can the blow off be connected right from the intake manifold? Perhaps in the place of the pop off valve. It seems theyre usually connected to the piping from the turbo/intercooler to the intake. It seems that It would work when you think about how the BOV works, But maybe Im overlooking something. Also the vacuum line that goes to the BOV is any line off the intake manifold right? Thanks for your responses. B

Welcome!!!

The BOV must be put in between the turbo and the throttle plate. The whole purpase of the BOV is to vent pressure build up in this area from flowing back and hitting the compressor blades. This could possibly cause damage to the compressor blade and it definately makes a crazy sound.

Ever notice how the stock AFM door gets slammed closed hard if there is no BOV? Man, that's anoying.

I've seen the BOV's installed on both sides of the intercooler. I'm not sure which side is best. Probably have seen more installed on the cool side, where the air is more compact.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

If I get the universal HKS BOV, what must I do to mount them before the Throttle Body?

Do I need to screw a hole and plug the BOV in and then weld it back?

What other parts do I need if I just get the universal HKS BOV?

Thanks

Nathan

If I get the universal HKS BOV' date=' what must I do to mount them before the Throttle Body?

Do I need to screw a hole and plug the BOV in and then weld it back?

What other parts do I need if I just get the universal HKS BOV?

Thanks

Nathan[/quote']

I recently installed the HKS SSV on my ZXT. You will also need to get the universal installation adapter (about $30). Then I drilled a hole (about 1" diameter) on the pipe from the turbo to TB (as close to the TB as I could get), then welded in the adapter. Then the BOV gets installed onto the adapter with e C-clip. (make sure you have a VERY strong pair of C-clip pliers).

Tim

Actually the proper way to do it is to vent the air back into the pipe going into the front of the turbo since that is metered air. If you have a speed density set-up then it is not so critical, bit I would rather have it sealed off then vent to the atmosphere just to keep noise down and keep crap out of my engine.

The best place to put it is on the cool side if you are venting back into the tube in front of the turbo since theoretically you would be feeding cooled air into the turbo versus hot air coming off the line from the turbo.

I doubt it is much of an issue either way, but mine is going on the cool side.

Guest DaneL24

Is that you NB? If it is, I'm surprised you don't spend more time at this site. You've come to the right place. Welcome!

Anyways, like everybody else said, the BOV is placed between the turbo and throttle body, so it vents the instant pressure build-up in the intake when the throttle is slammed shut...yet the turbo keeps boosting.

As far as the vacuum line goes...I've never hooked one up before, but I imagine it would have to be in the intake manifold, as long as it is behind the throttle body. This is because when you close the throttle, the pistons suck the air out of the intake manifold faster than air can be drawn in through the TB, so a lot of vacuum instantly builds up. Not only that, the vacuum builds right when the TB is closed, which is also right when you want the BOV to open.

Good luck!