HybridZ

Super and Turbo?

PhaTTy

Is it possible to have a supercharger and a turbo on a 280zx? My brother presented me with the idea of having the super on a clutch system of some sort and it would kick off once it reaches a certain RPM range or something, and the turbo would take over.. is it possible to do this or even have both on a car and how would you go about doing this.. maybe even with some custom headers.. I may be dreaming but I hope it can be done.

Yes, it could be done, but I would think that it would be a lot of time, expense and complexity for not much gain.

You would have to use a roots-style blower for the supercharger, as the low rpm response of the centrifugal-style superchargers is not that different from that of a turbo.

Any ideas of where to get information on this.. What I really want to do is make it a very quick street car that could compete with Vette's and the like. Already thinking of doing the 2.8L - 3.1L mods but am not a big mechanic and need lots of advice on how to go about doing things. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

This month's turbo has a custom setup going into an MR2 on a 6Banger that's done this way. The SC has a bypass for cruise conditions that could probably be used when boost from the turbo reached a high enough pressure. Overall I think it would be a PITA and not worth it though. An L28T would be better if an engine swap isn't of interest...

• 1 year later...

I am starting on a supercharger project using a SLK Mercedes supercharger. It has the electric clutch that you are looking for. It is an Eaton M62 supercharger with 1 liter displacement, bought it off of ebay for $200.

This could easily be done. If you could put a clutch controlled roots blower on the engine, and then a full turbo setup with a laggy turbo... All you need is a boost switch that measures boost in the intercooler piping to rise to a point and then cut the clutch to the supercharger. A roots blower will not boost the intake piping, so the systems would in effect be seperate from eachother.

My main concern would be the supercharger blocking the air flow into the engine, though. Especially since we're talking big turbo and big power here.

Nissan has mass-produced a super turbo motor in the past. It was a 990cc Nissan March sold in Japan. This little car was supposedly scarey fast... every seems to love them if they've driven them. It had like 110hp and 94ft/lbs from that little motor. Of course it was a dorky little econo-box that only weighed 1700 pounds, though.