HybridZ

Which Sensors

Guest Betzeralli

Guest Betzeralli

Hi, i'm doing a 81zxt to 78z swap and of couse i have questions! My motor is missing some sensors. After searching the forums i have these questions.

1)What sensors MUST be hooked up?

2)Do 81zxt have knock sensors? If so where?

3)Do 81zxt have Cylinder head temp or coolent temp? or both? Are the the same sensors on n/a motors?(there's nothing in either hole)

4)I can't see a cold start inj. Do i need thermo-time switch?(there's nothing in the hole)

Thanks for reading and helping me and the z.

1)What sensors MUST be hooked up?

crank angle, afm, fuel injectors, knock sensor, vehicle speed sensor, head temp sensor, o2

2)Do 81zxt have knock sensors? If so where?

should be on passenger side of block, has two probe looking things on it.

3)Do 81zxt have Cylinder head temp or coolent temp?

head temp, coolant switch on therm housing only runs injector cooling fan.

or both? Are the the same sensors on n/a motors?(there's nothing in either hole)

4)I can't see a cold start inj. Do i need thermo-time switch?(there's nothing in the hole)

no you dont need a therotime switch.

I hooked up my speed sensor, found out it did nothing, and left it unhooked. I am also not running the knock sensor, as it is faulty, and gives my Z31 ECU an error code unless disconnected. If you have the F54 block, you might as well connect it though. O2 is recommended, but you don't NEED it. Pretty much all you MUST hook up, like LEN said, is the AFM, the crank angle, and the head temperature. Don't forget about the throttle position sensor, it makes it a bit easier to idle. Obviously you need the fuel injectors, and the air regulator is nice on start up. There is a pair of solenoids that run the emissions equipment you might need hooked up - the EGR and the idle speed control.

And yes, no thermotime crap or cold start injector, just CHTS and knock on the right side of the block.