HybridZ

Viper V10

Guest slouch

Guest Anonymous

i think that it would be a fairly possible swap but just like you said a little on the cost prohibitve side. there should be moer than enough room length wise adn i'm not sure but i think the viper motor isn't all that wide since it is still a cam in block design. would definately be a blast ot have though and the wowo factor when the hood is popped would be priceless. another bonus is the viper motor is all aluminum so it shouldn't weight much more than a regular V8 if not lighter (don't know the weight but this is what i ASSume ;) )

Guest Anonymous

Should be possible, theres a guy with a website out there with a V10 in a cuda convertable, he's been in mags several times. It looked to be about as wide as they're small blocks just from eyeballing it, lots of custom stuff to make... headers alone would take some time unless the production ones dump in the middle somewhere, mounts front and rear.

When you analyze it its about the same as any non chevy Z installation, just bigger, more expensive, more custom fab work and the torque it puts out will probably require a new rearend at one point (or sooner).

I'd try to find someone belly up on a cobra kit that wants to recoup some dough and put the V10 in that... and go take a bite out of clown shoes... :D .

Just an opinion, the cost issue makes it hard to make it worth it when there are cheaper alternatives. But, hey I'm all for it, I'd love to see one in there, it'd be a Mongoose when it came to vipers and knock them on they're asp. (ba dump pa).

Regards,

Lone

Guest greimann

I actually measured one once out of curiosity to see if it would fit in my ZX. No go. The motor is too long to fit easily. But really, anything is possible if you have the skills.

Guest slouch

Does anybody here know if a viper v10 would fit in a Z's engine bay? Just curious as they are readily available if expensive.

Guest super280z

dosent matter much when you look purely at the torque potential over the curve. that motor is simply a beast. basically a 360 with 2 more holes on the front and ~ a 3.6 stroke. im pretty sure that the 450 hp verson is a mild cam and only abour 9:2-1 compression. makes plenty of room for improvement. so is it feasable? sure, just dont leave you're wallet at home, and just remember if you do have that kinda cash, e-mail me and i'll do the swap for you at a very "resonable" rate :D

• 3 weeks later...

716 lbs. is a lot but compare that to the DOHC Ford 5.4L V8 and it's only about 50 lbs. more. I saw at one of the Viper Vendors' website, they were offering Carbon Fiber valve covers and intake plenum. Altogether it shaved app. 73 lbs. and a Z with a Viper V10 would still be considerably lighter (and faster) than a Viper GTS.

Guest Anonymous

"a Z with a Viper V10 would still be considerably lighter (and faster) than a Viper GTS.

"

And considerably squirrelier and scarier, I love the Z, but the viper does get a plus for having a all tube-frame space frame under its skin. I won't say it wouldn't be a neat swap, but if your going after GTS's on the top end, you'd better put Viper sized bucks on the Z chassis, or you'll be airborne and for the most part FUBAR'ED. Just a opinion.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, 17k is rediculous for 450hp especially for 700lbs of 450 hp, I guess its not about if its expensive or if its worth it, I guess its about, hey look what I did. For 17k, you could put in a turbocharged aluminum headed V8 using some very choice parts puting out nearly double that HP with a T56 or 4L80 and still have change left over. Just an opinion of course, one things for sure, I'll never have enough money to do the swap, thats a certainty. :D

Regards,

Lone

• 7 months later...
Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Lone:

turbocharged aluminum headed V8 using some very choice parts puting out nearly double that HP with a T56

sounds like you think like me bonk.gif

id love a new HEMI twin turbo backed up by a 6 speed tranny eek2.gif

eric

Thought that thing would be too long...if I recall correctly, I remember the dude with the Cuda had to move the firewall back several inches for it to fit. Although, my brother sent me a link the other day of a Jeep Wrangler with one, so I don't know. Oh well, still way too much money, would be unique though...

• 6 months later...

My math is pretty simple. The engine bay is two cylinders wide and six cylinders long. I “think†it would fit but the weight with the cooling and all would be prohibitive. The wow factor would be a 10+.

Cheers …:::Glenn

Does anyone know the limit's of a viper block? Is the potential HP/TQ output worth the extra few thousand? I'm sure someone could find a Viper motor, minus the heads and such, and do a rebuild. I've seen/heard of Viper's being able to reach the 1000HP/1000TTQ :shock:mark. And that's N/a of course, so 'd go ahead and opt for the supcharger to get things kicking :twisted:

• 1 month later...

for the amount of money you put into it, the V10 swap would be in NO way cost effective, but would be impressive if you could even get it in with sufficient cooling. The cahssis would obviously need serious stiffeneing for the torque, and in all actuality, you aren't going anywhere if you can't get the power down, and in a lightweight Z, the most you're gonna do is roast you're pretty tires, no matter how wide.

Now, just throwing some things out as far as more cost effective means for alot of power, V8s were talked about, maybe a LS1, or I think the RB would be a nice engine in a Z. It's capable of near 400hp on stock turbos, well, stock everything pretty much. They put out insane amounts of power in Japan, and could easily make anyone happy with the amount of power acheaved. But that's just me :D

• 5 years later...

Here is a thread on my car:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?p=1039819#post1039819

as for weight, the Gen II crate motor weighs 505 lbs dressed with starter, clutch, flywheel, power steering pump, alternator, a/c compressor and serpentine system. The Viper T56 is heavy, though, about 140 lbs.

there is considerable fabrication required to do it right: 1) to get the engine to sit behind the front axle centerline and down, the firewall needs to go back 4", to clear the trans, the floorpan needs serious reshaping and 2) the chassis needs to be stiffened, this was done by slicing two box section beams into the floorpan front to rear. A 10 point roll cage also was installed fitted very closely to the a pillars and roof. and 3) a new front cross member for the steering rack and one for the trans. 4) also needs the largest radiator and oil cooler possible with powerful electric fans

not trivial, but i now have 300 miles on it and while we are still sorting out issues, i am enjoying it greatly. Only thing i would do differently is maybe put some discreet louvers in the hood. I am also going to change the steering rack ratio to slow it down and decrease the steering effort which is heavy at slow speed but fine otherwise.