HybridZ

I'm thinking about Spintechs again...

QWKDTSN

woh, that is really cool. i've never seen an actual cutaway, either. can i get mine blue inside?? hehe...

anywho, as far as x-pipes, Stainless Works makes a nice one, but it costs around $180. hedman makes a universal (rrrrrrrright....) x-pipe kit, available through jeg's. the dr. gas kit looks really good, but i have never seen a price on it. however, flowmaster makes a balance pipe kit (h-pipe, not x-pipe) for $36.99 thru jeg's. and as close as the pipes will be on a z (that is, assuming this kit will be installed behind the tranny), you wont really be able to tell the difference in h-pipes and x-pipes.

the other option would be to see what a good exhaust shop would charge to make one for you. it would be nice, though, if flowmaster sold one outright, like their y-collector (a really nice and smooth piece!)

another good source for spintechs is Mufflex. i've noticed an interesting x-pipe on some of their installations. give them a call, they are more than happy to talk shop. 609.890.0481 let us know what you end up using.

lates,

ryan

What direction is the flow on the spin techs?

I would like my z to sound more like a ferrari. I was on the band wagon for 180 degree header and flat plane cranks then i found out that a x-pipe will give the same sound. Pretty happy about that. A hell of a lot less work.

Douglas

if i'm not mistaken, the inlet if the muffler on that photo is on the right side. as the exhaust comes into the muffler, the lips on the six "cylinders" catch the exhaust and in effect 'spin' the exhaust gases, allowing some to escape through the perforations in the side of the spin cylinder. a really neat design, IMO, and supposedly rivals the flowmaster. i was going to use it on my car, but i ended up getting a great deal on my delta force flowmaster.

I would like to have a true dual exhaust with a couple of Spintechs and an X-pipe but I may end up going with a Flowmaster Y-collector, like you mentioned, and a 3-in-3-out Spintech just because it would cost so much less.

Yes, the exhaust flows in from the right and is swirled, passing out through the holes in the vertical 'tubes' and out through the left. They get really good reviews and are still sort of unknown.

http://www.spintechmufflers.com

This is pretty cool... All I'd ever seen was a diagram of what Spintech mufflers look like inside. Here's a cutaway view from the Dr. Gas website.

muffler.jpg

Pretty cool... The ones I want are only $80 each or so.. about the same as some Flowmasters, I think. 2.5 in 2.5 out, offset outlet. I am thinking about X-pipes... any that you guys would reccommend? The only ones I have really read anything about are Dr. Gas and MAC.

I noticed something - nobody seems to know what Spintech mufflers are except here on this board! I talked to a guy with a set of them on his V6 Ranger and man, did they sound GOOD! Not boomy or raspy like most Rangers, but with a really rich burble. I can't wait to hear what a set will sound like coming out of my motor!

good question! seems, however, like it would offer all the benefits of an x-pipe assembly.. but by eliminating the need for an x-pipe. it would be very interesting to see that comparison made in all the tech articles out there about x-pipes, h-pipes, etc.

hehe, cool douglas! i went to college in decatur, setting off many a car alarm with the exhaust tones of my z-car monstrosities. 2thumbs.gif how did you end up in new zealand? i'm actually wanting to skip town myself... getting a programming job is one problem, fighting atlanta traffic is another. how's the job market down there?

Guest Anonymous

Do the SpinTechs have any flow #'s? The design looks restrictive. More so than a "Turbo" muffler design.

My exhaust is set-up with a 16" DynoMAx race bullet after the "Y" connection and a Flowmaster delta 40 on the end. It sounds really good and I've found the quiet RPMs are in a good range for cruzing past the cops.

Just my opinion.

I am pretty sold on these mufflers. Mike, does your duel inlet have the oval pipes or are they round? I didnt see any round ones on there site for the duel inlets. I would like the duel inlet and outlet myself. Does any on e know if thay would restrict hp compared to a duel muffler set up?

BTW Georgia boys, I grew up in Atlanta. Lived in Stone Mountain, Decator, and Buckhead.

Douglas