HybridZ

Walker Master Catalog

Guest Tom Scala

Guest Tom Scala

I just picked up a copy of the Walker exhaust master catalog and it's filled with lots of very good info. Walker is the only exhaust company that flow tests each muffler and lists the results in the catalog along with what they call "loss free capacity" which is how much HP the muff will support before it becomes a restricition. I currently have a 2.5" mandrel bent system on my 78ZT with a pt# 17733Super Turbo (410CFM,186HP loss free). I was thinking of going with either the Stainless 2.5" Ultra Flow oval(1075CFM,489HP) or the welded version (1133CFM,515HP). These mufflers seem to flow plenty for my mild turbo motor up to 300HP without going to a 3" pipe and would probably be noticeably quieter than a 3". Do you think I would lose enough HP with the 2.5" MB system to make it worth the $ and work to fab a new MB 3" pipe? Myself,I'm leaning toward just hanging the good muffler on my current system. It should still offer a nice HP gain over the Super Turbo.

Guest Tom Scala

It depends on if it's a side in/side out or side/center. Generally the Super Turbos flow slightly better in the side/side config. and the Ultra Flows are better in center/center. Also some of the 3" ST's have 2.5" internal flow tubes and some are 3". BTW heres' some numbers:

17743 offset/offset w/2.5" flow tubes-200HP single 400 dual 440CFM @20.3" H20

17773 offset/offset w/3"flow tubes-252 single 504 dual 554CFM

17770 same as above but 20" long case instaed of 16"-256 single 512 dual 563CFM

All are 5.5"x11" oval and are sound rated as "Sport" mufflers which are louder than the Street versions. Most of the 2" to 2.5" ST's are sound rated as Street. The bullets are Race rated.

Tom, can you look up the numbers for the 17748 for me (Hemi Super Turbo - 4.25"x9", center in/ offset out). And the center in/center out version? Just wondering what the difference might be. I know that many times the center in/center out versions are listed in articles with a note about how the offset versions flow less.

Thanks

Guest Tom Scala

Brad,I couldn't find any 3" Ultra Flows' with a 20" case. Pete,The 17748 is rated at 415CFM and 189HP single and 378 dual. I have the 17749 offst/offset Hemi Super Turbos on my 68 GTO and they are really quiet for a turbo muffler and the car runs 111 MPH in the 1/4 through them, not too shabby. The 20" Hemi ST's flow slightly more than the smaller 14" case. The Walker website is www.dynomax.com

Originally posted by Andrew Bayley:

Good observation Tom,

A few years ago, a friend of mine wanted to upgrade to a 3" exhaust. Since his 2.5" Super Turbo sounded great, he was simply going to upgrade to a three inch Super Turbo. Much to our surprise, the 3" ST was identical to the 2.5" only with 3" inlet/outlets welded on.

Andrew,

I have heard this is true. I do, however, have a ST with 3" internal flow directors. Rick Johnson is the guy i bought the system from, and he said it was NOT easy getting the 3" St with the 3" internal flow directors--it also had a bearing upon the price too apparently. They can be purchased and I would think they are still available.

Davy