HybridZ

Muffler case length

timh

My searches have only came up with maximum dimensions for muffler length on a 280ZX. How long of a Dynomax Super Turbo can I fit on a 75' 280Z in the stock location. I'll be running 3" from a flowmaster "Y" collector. Thanks, Tim

Duh, I was asleep at the keyboard (at work still...)

I have the HEMI Super Turbo (2) in the stock location. I had to do a bit of spare tire well surgery to do that though.

Anyway, the case on the Hemi version is 20" long, like 23 or 24 including the nipples (heh).

I cut the nipple off the inlet side and put a near 90 (more like a 75) degree bend right at the muffler case. On one I had to use a section of a tubing donut. All the info is on my page. If I left something out, let me know:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pparaska/exhaust.htm

Hope that helps.

Guest Anonymous

Ah. Yeah, I used the cheapo summit turbo, which I must say sounds pretty good really for 20.00. Only deal was the case length is rather long, my muffler sort of angles down at the front and my tail pipe ends up point left and up a bit. Sounds weird, but really it doesn't look that bad. Shorter cases are a good thing back there though, as you say the angle of the radius is tight enough where I could have really used one of those donuts, I had to make due with 3" mandrel bends whose radius was wider than I would have liked. :mad: Oh well, thats what I get for being cheap. :D

Regards,

Lone

Tim,

The muffler you got will give you extra room for what your trying to do. I got a similar Dynomax muffler that is 19" long and still had room for a 3" manderal bent pipe.

You may need to do more fab work if you want it nice as Pete's.

Here's a link to a post I replied to showing the clearance I have using the 19" muffler and 3" manderal bent piping. http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000086

In my setup it was easier to have better ground clearance because I'm using only a single pipe. Try to get it as high as posible or you'll be scrapping on speedbumps.

• 5 weeks later...
Originally posted by R0N:

Tim,

The muffler you got will give you extra room for what your trying to do. I got a similar Dynomax muffler that is 19" long and still had room for a 3" manderal bent pipe.

You may need to do more fab work if you want it nice as Pete's.

Here's a link to a post I replied to showing the clearance I have using the 19" muffler and 3" manderal bent piping. http://www.hybridz.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=19;t=000086

In my setup it was easier to have better ground clearance because I'm using only a single pipe. Try to get it as high as posible or you'll be scrapping on speedbumps.

Ron: In my Summit catalog, they show the Dynomax Ultra Flo round 3" inlet/outlet muffler as having a 21" overall length. Is this the muffler you used? If not, it sounds like 21" may be too long for fitting in the stock location with 3" mandrel bent 90* bends? If yours is really a 19" model, what is the part number (if you still remember and don't mind?)

I notice the oval 3" Dynomax as being 19" overall length...is that the one you used? It just looked like you used the round muffler in your pictures...TIA

The mufflers I used are a 20" case, with 25.5" overall length. I had to cut off the nipple right near the body on the input and use a section of a 7" OD 2.5" pipe donut (see my web site) to get the pipe to turn into the muffler and fit behind the rear control arm.

That said, I'd think you could fit a 21" overall muffler in there with not alot of trouble. You may have to cut some or all of the nipple off the muffler, but that's easy.

Mock it up, and figure out the space need to turn about a 90 on the 3" pipe, looking at the specs in a Summit catalog, etc. for the mandrel J tubes.