HybridZ

180 degree headers

ZROSSA

Howdy,

I am back on this 180 degree header thing again. I think i can make some buy converting the existing block hugers and making flanges to get it in and out. Does anyone know if they will actually make more power. There is little on the web about them but they seem to be baned in a lot of circle tracks so there must be something in that. I love the sound the make and it would also make people scratch there head when i blow there doors off. icon_biggrin.gif

Why dont he drag guys use them?

Douglas

An X-pipe on a V8 with regular headers will smooth the tone as well but probably nothing like 180 headers.

The 180 Header idea might work on a SBC V8Z in the setback position, as there's a bunch of room in front of the oil pan sump and behind the crossmember to run the pipes through. How you'd get equal length to make it work would be a problem, but maybe instead of timing the pulses for two revolutions and using those pipe lengths, you could use maybe pulses on the previous 720 or 1440 degrees of rotation for those long pipes from the other side of the engine?

What I'm thinking is that if you need to steal pulses from one of the cylinders of the opposite bank, maybe use short pipes for the 2 cylinders on one side of the engine (say 1 and 7), and pipes 2 or 3 times as long from the cylinder on the other side (4 and 6). Do the same thing on the other header, short pipes from cylinders 2 and 8, and pipes 2 oor three times as long from cylinders 3 and 5. That'd be 4 pipes crossing under the engine - there might be room for that.

This way the pulses would arrive at the collector in even intervals (every 180 degrees) but from the previous revolutions of the motor for the cylinders on the other side of the engine.

Does this sound right? I'm probably all wet.

Pete,

I see where you are coming from but i dont know if it would work. I have a book buy a guy called A. Graham Bell called "4 stroke performance tuning". this is my bible but its buried in storage while my house is being built. He goes into what you are saying a little so i will check it out when i can. The chev i have has small block huggers on it that need to come out for a bit of work any way. I was thinking that i would cut them of before the collecters and run the middle pipes under. I am looking for a tube lenth around 36 inches if i can. I havent climbed under the car for a while so i forget how it layed. Also i am running a supra 5 speed which is nice and small so there may be room further back. We will see.

Cheers

Douglas

Got of my fat but and had a look under the z. the pipe could go forward of the sump but this seams to defeat the purpose somewhat, there is room to do it behind the sump as well. Little as it may be, I hate to add weight to the front of the car, so I will try to get them behind the sump. I cant be bothered , however, it it wont get me more power. Any one know if it will or not?

Cheers

Douglas

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by ZROSSA:

If anyone is interested.... Have a look here. Third photo down. This could work on a z.

http://www.angelfire.com/md3/bmdf/header.htm

Douglas

That is a very nice piece of work.

I think AFCO use to carry 180 degree headers - I only managed to find one reference in their online catalog, with little info. You might give them a call...

http://www.afcoracing.com/

I was just looking up info on the 180 headers yesterday. I really want to do this to keep that sleeperness. If I just take it to an exhaust shop I wonder if they can work somthing up... ohhh sooo excited to get my Z on the road. Just went crusing in my integra gsr with a frind in his 240z and another in his 240sx. We got lots of people to race us and we dident do too bad so once the Z is running I will be spankin people all over the place. I got seriously mauled by a '69 camaro SS though. I was just happy to see him go. When we launched I though I killed it or somthing cause he was gone.