HybridZ

how much have you spent on the conversion?

Guest jvh22a

i would like to know how much you guys/gals have spent on the conversion.. i really want to do the conervsion but if it cost to much then i don't want to(maybe later on in life).

Guest Fast Frog

I went back over my receipts icon_eek.gif $24,600 ugg.gif That included the Paxton with all it's "trimmins" before I sold it last yr. My God, don't let my wife see this post icon_eek.gifshifty.gif

( twak.gif You bum, you spent how much on that stupid car!!??)

damn! those are some BIG numbers. i can't hang with that.. but i still have a lot of time before i can even start togather the parts.

i know this is the V8 area but would it be a bit cheaper to get the 280zx turbo motor?(I'm new to the datsun,gm,ford stuff) i saw a few 280zx parting out.. and i have a programable ecu on my desk. and an extra t3/t4 turbo..

thanks jimmy

if u know the right people,and i wait for a good deal, i can do it fairly cheep. so far i have spent $600. $400 on a 1977 280z. $200 on a 6-71 supercharger. (a friend needed the money) i was given a whole 350ci chevy from a caprice cop car and i was just given a 400ci chevy. i think i'm going with the 400. a friend of mine owns a machine shop so i get work done dirt cheep! i think i just bought some 84-87 crovette wheels for $200 for the z also. i havn't paid for them yet of got them yet. i was also given a 12 bolt rear end.

oh question for u, did u build the t3/t4? or did u buy it? if u made it what did u get the t4 from? i can get t3's for $20 a shot. in good shape too. but i donno what a t4 comes on.

i got it long with a bunch of other stuff. in the pic that is the spare one. i was lucky; the guy was going back to japan and need to sell a lot of his stuff.

turbomanifold2.jpg

my friend is in need of 2 t3. he is doing a toyota 1jzgte swap into his supra.

is it $20 for the entire t3 turbo? thanks jimmy

thanks to everyone for your info..

I've not added my prices up but it's pretty steep - I went whole hog! It sounds liek you'[ve got parts that could be applicable more to a turbo swap though. Turbo motors can make decent ppower and can be had cheaply from the junkyards too. Blow one up, go grab another icon_biggrin.gif You might find that to be the most economical way to go and learn lot's too.

$2400 so far not including the cost of the car. I will spend an additional $150 or so for a driveshaft (I'm guessing) but not much more. Of course, the chassis mods and suspension mods just add to the bill. The $2400 includes the following: engine, transmission, flywheel, exhaust system, roll bar kit, JTR kit, etc. This is a very 'clean' budget performance build, but I still need a car...

Davy

We have spent about 3500.00 on our Hybrid V8Z so far and probably have another 1500.00 - 2000.00 to finish up our V8Z the way we want it. But it sure is fun to build and rip around in that V8Z! We are actually learning how to build it safely with all the mods and will probably build another one later after CHUD is completed. I just can't wait! icon_biggrin.giftwak.gif J&G

yep $20 for the wholeturbo with waste gate.

i just bought an other turbo today for $15 came off a mercedes benz 300DL. made by aireserch.

i gotta find out what size it is. i have no idea.

looks close to a t3? there was a t3 there, but it needed to be rebuilt bad, real bad. so i left it. if ur friend wants to rebuild one, i can get it. it's definetly worth it to rebuild since i can get them cheep.

Guest super280z

at last check the running tab is right about 8k and yes, i did want to cry.

anyone that wants to donate a t3/t4 to the "make my girl friends dsm fast foundation" is welcome to do so. do any of you want to part ways with one? i've got a t3 and some i/c's to trade or sell or whatever. shoot me an e-mail.

Hrm... icon_eek.gif

• [*]Car - $6K[*]Cagecell install - $1K[*]R200 LSD $500 I think[*]1st trans - $1700 (don't ask)[*]2nd trans - $700? (fuzzy, it needs a little work too)[*]Driveshaft $150 maybe?[*]Motor - $4K+ (fuzzy)[*]Wheelstires - $1200

Brakes - $900 or so front (fuzzy) Rear mostly paid for but I still owe Mike I think and we need to get together on an E-brake. Figure a couple hundred.[*]HoodBumpers w/paint - call it $2K?[*]Exhaustheaders - $700 maybe? Need to get my new headersmufflers installed![*]Fuel system - $400 max including carb[*]Cooling system - $250 w/fan[*]Gauges... $250 maybe?

[/list:u:d03cae4d70]

I think that's it. I'm sure I've forgotten a ton of little things but believe me those eat you up! That's as close as I've ever come to adding it all up. I do this as a hobby and for fun so I've not really kept track of the cost. Going EFI will cost me some too but not as bad as it might if I went nuts. We'll see - I'm not there yet icon_wink.gif

Guest chevsun

car+paint $1500

engine $7000

T-56 + clutch $2500

cage + cell $1000

wheels/tires $650

stereo/gauges $1000

rear drivetrain $1000

Thats as deep as I dare to go without crying. There is a lot more like seats and harnesses, the exhaust system that cost $600 it goes on and on. Soundproofing,weatherstripping, door sills,shift light, line lock, drive shaft. not to mention the TIME ............. It must be love!

I did a turbo conversion obviously and i have my figures around 20,000$ by the time all is said and done. Now, we all know that there is NO finished. I also have about 5000$ in car audio equipment in there that im not counting because it all comes right out if i really need the cash.

Evan

PS.. to anyone wanting to go turbo. It all depends on how much HP you want to make. IF you want something somewhat tame, turbo is economical. If you want 400+ hp, its gonna be cheaper v8 imo.